Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Heidi

Default Using copy/paste after subtotalling

I often use the Data Subtotals... feature. Then I can click the different
outline levels to view just the calculated subtotalled values (no raw data).
However, when I want to copy just the subtotalled data into a new sheet, I
can't just select the subtotalled cells as a group, because the hidden rows
of raw data come with it as well.

Is there an easy way to select just the rows that have subtotals in them?

Thank you,

Heidi
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid

Heidi,

Select your subtotals and then Edit|Go To... Click on Special button.
In the following screen select Visible Cells only. Then Copy.

Also, for similar tasks you can use a Pivot Table. In this case you
don't have to bother selecting only visible cells, because the Pivot
Table will reside on a separate range.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Heidi

Thanks! That looks like just the feature I need. Unfortunately, it seems to
crash my computer every time I try to "paste" afterwards, but that is
probably an issue with our weird network installation. I'll see if the
PivotTable route is a little more stable.

Thanks again!

Heidi

"vezerid" wrote:

Heidi,

Select your subtotals and then Edit|Go To... Click on Special button.
In the following screen select Visible Cells only. Then Copy.

Also, for similar tasks you can use a Pivot Table. In this case you
don't have to bother selecting only visible cells, because the Pivot
Table will reside on a separate range.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Marc

Also, I'd suggest doing a "paste special" as "value" to be sure you aren't
copying formulas.

And I defnitely agree that pivot tables are the way to go--you don't have to
worry about sorting the data first like you do with subtotalling... they are
much more flexible.