Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JimDandy

Default How to reference cell in other worksheet

I am trying to populate a cell in one worksheet with data from another
worksheet within the same workbook. The source worksheet (sheet 1) has
a numbered column (Column A) but the numbers do not necessarily match
the cell’s row numbers. The data I want to capture from the source is
in column Q. The destination worksheet will have a column (column A
also) with the number of the row from the source worksheet from which I
want to capture column Q data and place it into column B (on sheet 2).

Code:
--------------------

Sheet 1 (source data)
Row A Q
1 1 Data point 1
2 2 Data point 2
3 3a Data point 3
4 3b Data point 4
5 4 Data point 5

Sheet 2 (need to populate row B with data from sheet 1 based on the information in Row A)
Row A B
1 3a
2 4
3 2
4 1
5 3b

--------------------

--
JimDandy
JimDandy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16578

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian

In sheet2 B1
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$5,2,FALSE)

--
Ian

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JimDandy

This is exactly what I need if the reference column and the data are in
adjacent columns. Is it possible to do this if the reference data is in
Column A and the data I’m trying to capture are not adjacent to each
other such as column Q?

--
JimDandy
JimDandy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16578
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=492759

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JimDandy

Okay, after pulling my head out I realised that I need only study the
function better and I was able to answer the question myself.

I thank you Ian for the head start.

--
JimDandy
JimDandy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16578
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=492759

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ian

Sorry for the delay. I've been offline for a few days. Glad you managed to
sort it out.

--
Ian