Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Robertgn

Default Still stumped

I am desperately trying to learn how to use Excel and am very new and am
not a math whiz to boot. I'm probably trying to run before I can walk in
trying to use the "if" function.

All I'm attempting to do is tell a cell to provide one answer if so and
so and another answer is so and so. In other words here is my original
formula:
=(AD5+AE5)*AF5*3.40-.21. This is where the "if" comes into play ( I
think). If AD5+AE5 is less than (4) I want to subtract the (.21) for
the end results; if AD5+AE5 is more than (4) and less than (8) I want
to subtract (.8) from the end results.
If AD5+AE5 is more than (12) and less than (20) I want subtract (1.3)
from the end results etc.

I started this thread earlier today and both response were good (I
guess), but neither of the formulas worked. Perhaps someone can still
help.

Thanks,
Robertgn

--
Robertgn
Robertgn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29518

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Fred Smith

First, you'll get better responses if you respond to the original thread rather
than creating a new one. That way, people will know what has been suggested, and
won't repeat it.

Here's my proposed solution:

==(AD5+AE5)*AF5*3.40-if(ad5+ae5<4,.21,if(and(ad5+ae54,ad5+ae5<8),.8,if (and(ad5+ae512,ad5+ae5<20),1.3,0)))

Some problems with the above which you will need to determine:
What happens if ad5+ae5 = 4? is between 8 and 12? or is over 20?
Putting "etc." in your query makes it very difficult to get a definitive answer.
Only you know what "etc." means, so you're better off to define it now rather
than later.
Fred

"Robertgn" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Paul B

Robertgn, best to stay in the same thread, it is easier to follow that way,
here are the replys the the other post,
But what do you want to happen if AD5+AE5 is 8 but <12 or 20 ?? Looks to
me that both of the formulas posted will do what you want up to that point.

One possible way

=(AD5+AE5)*AF5*3.40275-VLOOKUP(AD5+AE5,{0,0.21;4,0.8;8,1.3},2)

there are some discrepancies in your description, I can't see how a value
can be

"less than (12) and more than (20)"

it can be less than 12 or more than 20 but not AND

anyway it can be done using something similar or using if9and(or etc

Peo Sjoblom

Not sure how something would be less than 12 and more than 20...but here's
the rest of it.

=(AD5+AE5)*AF5*3.40275-(IF((AD5+AE5)<4,0.21,IF((AD5+AE5)<8,0.8,if((AD5+AE 5)<
12,1.3))))

the way an if statement works is you put in your condition for example
"if(A11," then you put a comma, then what you want to show up if the
condition is true. Then another comma, and what you want to show up when the
condition is false.
so =if(a11,"A1 is one","A1 is not one")
will return "A1 is one" when A1 is one and "A1 is not one" when it is not.
if your case, when the condition is false, you want to go on to check the
next thing. So your false section starts another if statement.

I hope this makes sense for you.
Good Luck

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2002 & 2003

"Robertgn" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Robertgn

I apologize for not responding properly; as I mentioned on one of other
threads --this is my first time here and I am not clear how this
works.

Anyway with all the comments and formulas I have received on this
situation I think I can go with it.

Thanks to all,

Robertgn