Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Greg

Default Looking for best fit

I'm looking for a formula to find the 'best fit' for inventory turns. For
example:
A B C D
1 10 100 50 5

The formula in D1 is: =(b1-c1)/a1 and that gives me 5. I could change a, b,
or c numbers in such a way that it still results in 5 (or close to it). My
question is, if I was asked to make D1 7, what is the best fit to make the
formula equal 7? In the inventory world average inventory (A1) is what I can
manage, B1 represents Sales, and C1 represents Returns. I don't even know if
it is possible, but I'm thinking if I could show a few additional rows with
alternatives that might be the best bet. Any help would be appreciated.
Thx, Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

You might try looking at Tools GoalSeek feature.............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Greg" wrote:

I'm looking for a formula to find the 'best fit' for inventory turns. For
example:
A B C D
1 10 100 50 5

The formula in D1 is: =(b1-c1)/a1 and that gives me 5. I could change a, b,
or c numbers in such a way that it still results in 5 (or close to it). My
question is, if I was asked to make D1 7, what is the best fit to make the
formula equal 7? In the inventory world average inventory (A1) is what I can
manage, B1 represents Sales, and C1 represents Returns. I don't even know if
it is possible, but I'm thinking if I could show a few additional rows with
alternatives that might be the best bet. Any help would be appreciated.
Thx, Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

You'll have to state what the relations between the figures are. If we
change a, b and c proportionally, you'll never get 7. If you only change a,
it is simple. What happens to b and c if you change a?
Once you state that, you can indeed use goal seek.
In more complex situations (no easily expressed relation) you might need
Solver

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Greg" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Greg

I was kinda hoping someone could provide a formula to get D by adding 3 rows:
row 1 would be the number for A, row 2 for B, and row 3 for C....or
something like that. Goal seeker worked, but I'd have to run it 3 times.
Greg

"Greg" wrote:

I'm looking for a formula to find the 'best fit' for inventory turns. For
example:
A B C D
1 10 100 50 5

The formula in D1 is: =(b1-c1)/a1 and that gives me 5. I could change a, b,
or c numbers in such a way that it still results in 5 (or close to it). My
question is, if I was asked to make D1 7, what is the best fit to make the
formula equal 7? In the inventory world average inventory (A1) is what I can
manage, B1 represents Sales, and C1 represents Returns. I don't even know if
it is possible, but I'm thinking if I could show a few additional rows with
alternatives that might be the best bet. Any help would be appreciated.
Thx, Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Niek Otten

I repeat: it depends on what your rules are. Changing just one cell is easy.
Two also, if one of them just increase by 1. etc.
What did you finally get?
--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten