Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
asokol

Default Sequence Formula

Hey guys I'm having a bit of trouble with a formula for barcodes.

I'm trying to get a sequence eg.

eg I will scan this barcode: HD65B1164281P
and it will go up like this HD65B1164282P
283P

for ten barcodes then i will scan another barcode and it needs to go
into another sequence for 9 barcodes....etc

Any help would be appreciated.

--
asokol
asokol's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29485

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid

asokol,
I assume your codes are in the following format:
LLDDLDDDDDDDL,
i.e. fixed length and the letters (L) are always in the same position,
then, if the first code is in, say A1, the following formula will
generate the next element in the sequence:
=left(A1, 9) & mid(A1, 10, 3)+1 & right(A1,1)

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR

Assuming your first scan was in A1, second in A2, etc.......... put this in
B1 and copy over to the right and down as reqired

=LEFT(A1,5)&MID(A1,6,7)*1+1&RIGHT(A1,1)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"asokol" wrote:

Hey guys I'm having a bit of trouble with a formula for barcodes.

I'm trying to get a sequence eg.

eg I will scan this barcode: HD65B1164281P
and it will go up like this HD65B1164282P
283P

for ten barcodes then i will scan another barcode and it needs to go
into another sequence for 9 barcodes....etc

Any help would be appreciated.

--
asokol
asokol's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29485
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=491876

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

One method since you have the P on the end of the code.

Enter HD65B1164281 in A1 then right-click and drag the fill handle down to
A10.

Release and select "fill series"

Your numbers will increment.

Do this for each set of 10 codes.

Now in B1 enter =A1 & "P"

Left-click and drag down.

Select the Column B range and Paste Special(in place)ValuesOKEsc.

Delete column A

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 10:33:14 -0600, asokol

eg I will scan this barcode: HD65B1164281P

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
asokol

Thanks for the help guys...

Another question relating to this, what would i need to add to the
formula so that for example i scan the first barcode in a1 the cursor
then jumps down to a11 scan that then jumps to a21 etc.. etc..

cheers for the help