Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JLC

Default An FAQ that never seems to be answered: autofiltering with protection on...

Hey everybody,

I just did a quick search on this topic and found multiple posts, but
none answered my particular question. Here's the situation:

I'm using Microsoft Excel 2003.

I have created an autofilter for a cell range and then protected the
sheet with the "Use Autofilter" box marked. The autofilter seems to be
functioning properly with one exception:

It won't let me use either the "Sort Ascending" or "Sort Descending"
features in any column. Instead, I receive the standard cell protection
error message:

The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore
read-only.

To modify a protected cell or chart, first remove protection using the
Unprotect Sheet command (Tools menu, Protection submenu). You may be
prompted for a password.

I have tried

- unlocking all cells in the filter,
- unlocking the header cells,
- limiting the filter to 10 rows and unlocking row 11, and
- allowing various other permissions with protection.

Does anyone know how to fix this? ideally, without leaving the cells
unlocked?

Thanks in advance,

JLC
JLC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28014
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=491343

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish

The entire list, including heading cells, would have to be unlocked, in
order to sort on a protected sheet.
Enable Sort and Autofilter when you protect the sheet.

JLC wrote:
[...]

Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html