Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
chiuinggum

Default protect specific cell but allow edit on other cell

How can I protect specific cells but allow editing on other cells. Once the
cell is edited the file can be saved.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

By default all cells are locked when the sheet is protected.

Hit CRTL + A(twice if xl2003) then FormatCellsProtection. Uncheck "locked"
and OK.

Select the cells you wish to lock and FormatCellsProtection. Check "locked"
and OK.

Now ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet. This is mandatory!!

You can set a password to unprotect. These can easily be broken in Excel but
will keep your formulas from being accidentally overwritten.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:44:01 -0800, "chiuinggum"
wrote:

How can I protect specific cells but allow editing on other cells. Once the
cell is edited the file can be saved.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
chiuinggum

but by sheet protection the files could not be saved unless they know the
password. i want only specific cell to be locked preventing alteration but
still allow other cells to be edited and file save.

wrote:

How can I protect specific cells but allow editing on other cells. Once the
cell is edited the file can be saved.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

You can still save a workbook that has sheet protection enabled.

No need for anyone to know a password.

Did you try the method I posted or just reject it because you don't understand
the process?

Gord

wrote:

How can I protect specific cells but allow editing on other cells. Once the
cell is edited the file can be saved.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Happy you got it sorted.