Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shams

Default Report by two categories.

Folks,
I have the following data:

Date Product Subtotal Tax
01/12/2004 BA 253.36 25.36
01/16/2004 BA 456.36 12.36
02/05/2004 BA 546.36 12.36
02/18/2004 BA 1236.54 25.69
02/19/2004 BZ 650.36 36.36
02/25/2004 BZ 456.69 10.36
03/12/2004 BZ 789.36 21.36

I need to create a report that will give me a subtotal by Product and Date.
Now, the problem with doing a straight subtotal (and then a nested subtotal)
is that I will have too many subtotals by Date (imagine my dataset spanning
over several years with multiple monthly dates). Is there a way, I can flag
a certain number of date occurence as a particular month. For example, from
my data above, can I summarize BA in January 2004 as $747.44. So, although,
there are two occurences in January, my report is neatly summarized as
January 2004.

Thanks.

Regards,
Shams.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
pdberger

Shams --

You can do this pretty easily with the PivotTable tool. It allows you to
set up a table "logically" and then it just fills it in with summarized data.

"Shams" wrote:

Folks,
I have the following data:

Date Product Subtotal Tax
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shams

Thanks for the info. I tried doing a Pivot selecting the Product and Date
column as Rows and then summing by subtotal. It is still giving me the same
dept of information as the Subtotal functiuon would have.

My goal is still quite simple. I want to show that under Product BZ, the
total for February was $1,153.77. I don't want to specify the two dates
under February but roll them up under February. Let me know if I am missing
something. Thanks.

"pdberger" wrote:

Shams --

You can do this pretty easily with the PivotTable tool. It allows you to
set up a table "logically" and then it just fills it in with summarized data.

"Shams" wrote:

Folks,
I have the following data:

Date Product Subtotal Tax
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

You need to group the dates by month (right click in the dates column in the
pivot table and select group, then select month)

Peo Sjoblom

"pdberger" wrote:

Shams --

You can do this pretty easily with the PivotTable tool. It allows you

set up a table "logically" and then it just fills it in with summarized

data.

"Shams" wrote:

Folks,
I have the following data:

Date Product Subtotal Tax
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shams

Peo,
Thank you very much for your help. It now works very well...

"pdberger" wrote:

Shams --

You can do this pretty easily with the PivotTable tool. It allows you

set up a table "logically" and then it just fills it in with summarized

data.

"Shams" wrote:

Folks,
I have the following data: