Dennis

Default Numbers Wont Sum

This is strange. Occasionally when I paste numers from the web and say I
select 3 cells with numbers in them they wont total down in that Auto Sum area
on the bottom right. Also a =SUM wont work for those cells. But if I retype
over them then it all works fine. Any ideas?

TIA Dennis
=========
Arvi Laanemets

Hi

They are text strings - not numbers.

Set the cell format for range with imported data to General or to Numeric.
Copy a number (NB! A number!) 1 (or 0) from elsewhere.
Select the range with imported data, and then PasteSpecial.Multiply
(PasteSpecial.Add) - press OK

--
Arvi Laanemets
(When sending e-mail, use address arvil<Attarkon.ee)

"Dennis" wrote in message
This is strange. Occasionally when I paste numers from the web and say I
select 3 cells with numbers in them they wont total down in that Auto Sum

area
on the bottom right. Also a =SUM wont work for those cells. But if I

retype
over them then it all works fine. Any ideas?

TIA Dennis
=========

Nick Hodge

Dennis

It's always possible that spurious invisible data gets brought over. This
stops Excel from seeing the data as a 'number' and can then do no
calculation on it.

You could try entering a 1 in a blank cell and copy it. Then highlight
your imported data and EditPaste Special...Values+Multiply. Of course
multiplying a number by one does nothing, but it will kick Excel into
recognising them.

--
HTH
Nick Hodge