Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Minitman

Default Advancing Down A List

Greetings,

I have a list of names in column A of sheet 1, I want to have a
dynamic copy of this list in column A of sheet 2. Sheet 2 uses 3 rows
per record and sheet one uses one row per record.
I tried the usual A2+1 in A3 and got the #VALUE! error.

How can I advance each record on sheet 2 so that it matches sheet 1?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Minitman
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

Assuming names are listed in Sheet1, in A1 down

In Sheet2,

Put in the starting cell, say, A1:
=IF(MOD(ROW(A1),3)=1,
INDIRECT("Sheet1!A"&INT((ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)/3)+1),"")

Copy A1 down as far as required

The above will return the names from Sheet1 in sequence,
interspersed with 2 blank rows in-between each name
--
Rgds
Max
"Minitman" wrote in message
Greetings,

I have a list of names in column A of sheet 1, I want to have a
dynamic copy of this list in column A of sheet 2. Sheet 2 uses 3 rows
per record and sheet one uses one row per record.
I tried the usual A2+1 in A3 and got the #VALUE! error.

How can I advance each record on sheet 2 so that it matches sheet 1?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Minitman

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

And if you're simply wanting to "triplicate" the names over from Sheet1,
just use in the starting cell in Sheet2, and copy down:
=INDIRECT("'Sheet1'!A"&INT((ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)/3)+1)
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Minitman

Hey Max,

Thanks for the reply.

Does it make any difference if each set of three cells on sheet 2 are
merged or do I need to unmerge them?

Looking forward to your reply.

-Minitman

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 11:25:50 +0800, "Max" wrote:

And if you're simply wanting to "triplicate" the names over from Sheet1,
just use in the starting cell in Sheet2, and copy down:
=INDIRECT("'Sheet1'!A"&INT((ROWS($A$1:A1)-1)/3)+1)
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max

"Minitman" wrote:
.. Does it make any difference if each set of three cells
on sheet 2 are merged or do I need to unmerge them?

The assumption is that no cells are merged (but of course! <g)
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Minitman

Hey Max,

Thanks for the clarification.

That part is now complete, on to the next step.....

-Minitman