Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Duplicate rows

I have a list that contains approx 4000 rows of info - school code,
school name, address and email. Some school codes are duplicated as a
result of a workbook merge. I need to search through the information,
find the duplicated rows and delete the row that DOES NOT contain an
email address. How do I do this within Excel, or is this easier in
Access?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Mac

Try this approach, somewhat manual, but it will work...

Sort the data using the key field "School Code"
Insert a column after "School Code" and in Row 1 label it "Duplicate/Unique"
Write the following formula in Row 2 of the new "Duplicate/Unique" column-
=IF(A1=A2,"Duplicate", "Unique"), Copy this formula throughout the entire
column of "Duplicate/Unique" (Recalculate [F9] if you have this set to manual
in your Options tab)
This should identify all of the duplicate entries as they exist in the
School Code" column..
Turn on Filtering (Data-Filter-AutoFilter) for the entire spreadsheet
Select "Duplicate" under the Filtering options drop down variables for the
"Duplicate/Unique" column
Select the "Blanks" under the Filtering options drop down variables for the
"School Code" column
Delete the rows

Joe

--
Thanks for your help -
Joe Mac

" wrote:

I have a list that contains approx 4000 rows of info - school code,
school name, address and email. Some school codes are duplicated as a
result of a workbook merge. I need to search through the information,
find the duplicated rows and delete the row that DOES NOT contain an
email address. How do I do this within Excel, or is this easier in
Access?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That's sort of what I am looking for - I just tried it and it is
returning 'Unique' for all rows even though some are clearly duplicated
- ARGH!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Oscar

I used this to find duplicates, this will probably help you.

if you need any help let me know

" wrote:

I have a list that contains approx 4000 rows of info - school code,
school name, address and email. Some school codes are duplicated as a
result of a workbook merge. I need to search through the information,
find the duplicated rows and delete the row that DOES NOT contain an
email address. How do I do this within Excel, or is this easier in
Access?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Mac

Hey...

Did you Sort the data using the School COde key as the first step?

Joe
--
Thanks for your help -
Joe Mac

" wrote:

That's sort of what I am looking for - I just tried it and it is
returning 'Unique' for all rows even though some are clearly duplicated
- ARGH!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Yeah - I sorted data first. Have gone down and checked the formula and
it is fine and should be returning the correct value.