Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jonah

Default Increment column by column from data row by row

Can I increment a cell reference as I replicate data across a row. in
my example it just retains $B2 for all cell references.

e.g
A B C
D E
1 =A2+$B2 =A2+$B3 =A2+$B4
2 Andy Old
3 Peter Young
4 James Old
5 Mary Old

Jonah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

try

=$A2+B2

instead.

In article , Jonah
wrote:

Can I increment a cell reference as I replicate data across a row. in
my example it just retains $B2 for all cell references.

e.g
A B C
D E
1 =A2+$B2 =A2+$B3 =A2+$B4
2 Andy Old
3 Peter Young
4 James Old
5 Mary Old

Jonah

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jonah

No luck there. Any other thoughts

Jonah

Try =$A2+B2 instead

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peo Sjoblom

Do you want to increment down row wise while you copy across?
If you want to increment like B2, B3 and so on while copying across you can
use

=OFFSET($B$2,COLUMN(A:A)-1,)

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Jonah" wrote in message
No luck there. Any other thoughts

Jonah

JE McGimpsey wrote:
Try =$A2+B2 instead

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

I missed that you wanted to increment the row, not the column.

One way:

C1: =$A2+INDEX($B:$B,COLUMN()-1)

Note however, that given your sample data, you'll only get #VALUE!
errors, since the + operator requires two numeric values, not text.

Did you mean to concatenate (&) instead?

In article , Jonah
wrote:

No luck there. Any other thoughts

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jonah

Superb! And is it possible from another workbook? I would never have found
that in the Help without knowing what I was looking for.

Jonah

"Jonah" wrote in message
No luck there. Any other thoughts

Jonah

JE McGimpsey wrote:
Try =$A2+B2 instead

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jonah

CRACKED it. Thanks. Peo.

Jonah wrote
And is it possible from another workbook?