-   -   Increment column by column from data row by row (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/57432-increment-column-column-data-row-row.html)

Jonah

Increment column by column from data row by row

Can I increment a cell reference as I replicate data across a row. in
my example it just retains $B2 for all cell references.

e.g
A B C
D E
1 =A2+$B2 =A2+$B3 =A2+$B4
2 Andy Old
3 Peter Young
4 James Old
5 Mary Old

Jonah

JE McGimpsey

Increment column by column from data row by row

try

=$A2+B2

instead.

In article , Jonah
wrote:

Can I increment a cell reference as I replicate data across a row. in
my example it just retains $B2 for all cell references.

e.g
A B C
D E
1 =A2+$B2 =A2+$B3 =A2+$B4
2 Andy Old
3 Peter Young
4 James Old
5 Mary Old

Jonah

Jonah

Increment column by column from data row by row

No luck there. Any other thoughts

Jonah

JE McGimpsey wrote:
Try =$A2+B2 instead

Peo Sjoblom

Increment column by column from data row by row

Do you want to increment down row wise while you copy across?
If you want to increment like B2, B3 and so on while copying across you can
use

=OFFSET($B$2,COLUMN(A:A)-1,)

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Jonah" wrote in message
No luck there. Any other thoughts

Jonah

JE McGimpsey wrote:
Try =$A2+B2 instead

JE McGimpsey

Increment column by column from data row by row

I missed that you wanted to increment the row, not the column.

One way:

C1: =$A2+INDEX($B:$B,COLUMN()-1)

Note however, that given your sample data, you'll only get #VALUE!
errors, since the + operator requires two numeric values, not text.

Did you mean to concatenate (&) instead?

In article , Jonah
wrote:

No luck there. Any other thoughts

Jonah

Increment column by column from data row by row

Superb! And is it possible from another workbook? I would never have found
that in the Help without knowing what I was looking for.

Jonah

"Jonah" wrote in message
No luck there. Any other thoughts

Jonah

JE McGimpsey wrote:
Try =$A2+B2 instead

Jonah

Increment column by column from data row by row

CRACKED it. Thanks. Peo.

Jonah wrote
And is it possible from another workbook?