Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mon

Default How do I set up a conditional cell from a drop down list in Excel

I'm working on creating an Expense Form in Excel for the employees in my
company. In cell A7 I have a drop down list consisting of: mileage,
conference, school, seminar, meetings. The following columns or cells of
C,D,E,F,G,H,I - I would like to be conditioned upon the response of the drop
down list. If "mileage" is chosen, is it possible that cells G7,H7, and I7
will gray out and cells C7,D7,E7 and F7 will highlight themselves to be
filled in by the employee. - ??
Any help would be great!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

You could do this using Conditional Formatting and Data validation.

Select cells C7:F7 and add the conditional format of:

Formula is: =$A$7="Mileage"

I selected to fill in Yellow and added the border.

Condition 2:

Formula is: =$A$7<"Mileage"

I selected to fill in gray with no borders.

Apply the same methodology G:I to highlight or gray out based on the
value in A7. You can use the OR function in your Conditional Format
formula to accomodate for multiple conditions resulting in the same
format.

To further restrict your users, you can utilize the data vaildation.
Select C7:F7 and select Data ValidationAllow = Custom and enter

=$A$7="Mileage"

in the formula Bar. This will not allow users to put any data in those
cells if A7 is not = to Mileage.

Cheers,

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mon

Default How do I set up a conditional cell from a drop down list in Ex

How do I place the Formula: =$A$7="Mileage" in Conditional Formatting??

I think I'm confused.

Thanks for your help!!

"SteveG" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
SteveG

Mon,

Select: FormatConditional Formatting. The default for Condition 1 is
"Cell Value Is". There is a dropdown arrow in that cell. When you
click on the drop down, the other option is "Formula Is". Select that
and the Formula Bar will appear to the right. Click on the formula bar
and type = then select cell A7 (it will appear in your formula bar
automatically with the $'s) then type ="Mileage" after $A$7.

Remember that in order for the conditional format to apply to all the
cells you want, you need to select them all before going to
FormatConditional Formatting.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Regards,

Steve