Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick

Default Dates - Months & Years

I am looking for a formula or a way to have years & months calculated from a
starting month and year. Here is what I have.

Sheet 1 has 2 cells, cell A1 is for picking the starting month (from a drop
down list) & cell A2 is to pick the starting year (also from a drop down
list).

Sheet 2 is set up with a 36 month grid in which estimated hours are input.
What I need it to do is automatically calculate the year (in cell row 1) and
the month (in cell row 2) based on the selections made on sheet 1. Also, I
need it to automatically roll to the next higher year when ever the month
"Jan" comes up (see D1,2). I would like it to display year & month as shown
here.

(A) (B) (C) (D)
(1) 2005 2005 2005 2006 and so for a total of 36 months
(2) Oct Nov Dec Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Add these formula on sheet2

A1: =Sheet1!A2
A2: =Sheet1!A1
B1: =IF(A2="Jan",A1+A1,A1)
B2: =TEXT(DATE(A1,MONTH(DATEVALUE("01 "&A2&" 2005"))+1,1),"mmm")

copy B1:B2 across

--

HTH

RP

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Rick

Why not just enter your start date on Sheet1!A1 as 01/11/05 for example (Nov
05).
Then on Sheet2
A1=Sheet1!A1 FormatCellsNumberCustom yyyy
B1=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+1,1) again formatted as yyyy
copy across for 35 columns

A2=A1 but formatted as mmm
Copy A2 across for 36 columns

Changing the date in Sheet1!A1 will alter both start year and start month

Regards

Roger Govier

Rick wrote:
I am looking for a formula or a way to have years & months calculated from a
starting month and year. Here is what I have.

Sheet 1 has 2 cells, cell A1 is for picking the starting month (from a drop
down list) & cell A2 is to pick the starting year (also from a drop down
list).

Sheet 2 is set up with a 36 month grid in which estimated hours are input.
What I need it to do is automatically calculate the year (in cell row 1) and
the month (in cell row 2) based on the selections made on sheet 1. Also, I
need it to automatically roll to the next higher year when ever the month
"Jan" comes up (see D1,2). I would like it to display year & month as shown
here.

(A) (B) (C) (D)
(1) 2005 2005 2005 2006 and so for a total of 36 months
(2) Oct Nov Dec Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Arvi Laanemets

Hi

Add a sheet p.e. Months, with a single-column table (Month)
P.e. into A2 enter the formula
=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(TODAY())-3+ROW(),1)
, format p.e. as Custom "mmmm yyyy", or any other format you'll like the
month displayed in drop-down. (In my example, the list of months starts with
pre-previous one - change the constante to modify this)

Copy the formula down for number of rows, equal to number of months you want
to have in drop-down displayed.

Select the range with months, and define it as named range, p.e. as Months.

On your sheet, format a single cell (p.e. B1) as data validation list with
source
=Months
, and format this cell in any custom date format you like (p.e. mmmm yyyy,
or yyyy mmm, etc.)

On sheet 2, you can use formulas like
=YEAR(DATE(YEAR(Sheet1!$B$1),MONTH(Sheet1!$B$1)+n, 1))
{or
=TEXT(DATE(YEAR(Sheet1!$B$1),MONTH(Sheet1!$B$1)+n, 1),"yyyy")}
, and
=TEXT(DATE(YEAR(Sheet1!$B$1),MONTH(Sheet1!$B$1)+n, 1),"mmm")
, to display the year/month n months later as selected in Sheet1!$B$1

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvil<attarkon.ee )

"Rick" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Rick

Roger
Thanks...simple solutions are often the hardest to see.

Rick wrote:
I am looking for a formula or a way to have years & months calculated from a
starting month and year. Here is what I have.

Sheet 1 has 2 cells, cell A1 is for picking the starting month (from a drop
down list) & cell A2 is to pick the starting year (also from a drop down
list).

Sheet 2 is set up with a 36 month grid in which estimated hours are input.
What I need it to do is automatically calculate the year (in cell row 1) and
the month (in cell row 2) based on the selections made on sheet 1. Also, I
need it to automatically roll to the next higher year when ever the month
"Jan" comes up (see D1,2). I would like it to display year & month as shown
here.

(1) 2005 2005 2005 2006 and so for a total of 36 months
(2) Oct Nov Dec Jan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Rick

If only the "trees" would disappear for me all of the time<g
You're very welcome.

Regards

Roger Govier