Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bradley

Default VLOOKUP used only when IF condition is met

I am trying to write and IF statement with a VLOOKUP. I only want the value
to be returned when the IF column is equal to a set value.

For example, I have a data worksheet which has months and document #'s and
total hits. I am creating another worksheet that wil search the data page
and return the number of hits for the document, but I want to be able to
compile by month. So when month is equal to 200501 I want the value for the
contract to be returned.

This is what I have written:

=IF(('DOC TOTALS'!C1=200501),VLOOKUP(E2,'DOC TOTALS'!A:C,2,FALSE),0)

But this only will search the C1 row to see if it is =200501, I want the
whole column to be searched.

Thank you
Bradley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi Bradley

Try
=IF(COUNTIF('DOC TOTALS'!C:C,"=200501")0,VLOOKUP(E2,'DOC
TOTALS'!A:C,2,FALSE),0)

Regards

Roger Govier

Bradley wrote:
I am trying to write and IF statement with a VLOOKUP. I only want the value
to be returned when the IF column is equal to a set value.

For example, I have a data worksheet which has months and document #'s and
total hits. I am creating another worksheet that wil search the data page
and return the number of hits for the document, but I want to be able to
compile by month. So when month is equal to 200501 I want the value for the
contract to be returned.

This is what I have written:

=IF(('DOC TOTALS'!C1=200501),VLOOKUP(E2,'DOC TOTALS'!A:C,2,FALSE),0)

But this only will search the C1 row to see if it is =200501, I want the
whole column to be searched.

Thank you
Bradley

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Richard Buttrey

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:59:07 -0800, "Bradley"
wrote:

I am trying to write and IF statement with a VLOOKUP. I only want the value
to be returned when the IF column is equal to a set value.

For example, I have a data worksheet which has months and document #'s and
total hits. I am creating another worksheet that wil search the data page
and return the number of hits for the document, but I want to be able to
compile by month. So when month is equal to 200501 I want the value for the
contract to be returned.

This is what I have written:

=IF(('DOC TOTALS'!C1=200501),VLOOKUP(E2,'DOC TOTALS'!A:C,2,FALSE),0)

But this only will search the C1 row to see if it is =200501, I want the
whole column to be searched.

Thank you
Bradley

=IF(MATCH(200501,'DOC TOTALS'!C:C),VLOOKUP(E2,'DOC
TOTALS'!A:C,2,FALSE),0)

HTH

Richard Buttrey
__