Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Default halving contents of a cell

How do I ask Excel to half the contents of a cell and then round the answer
up??

For instance, if I have 17 in a cell, I want it to half the 17 and then
round the answer up to 9 instead of returning 8.5.

Urgent help please.............!!

Thank you.

Louise
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Done it!!! Doh!! Divide the cell by 2 and round it by 0..........

Had a blonde moment!!

Louise

"Louise" wrote:

How do I ask Excel to half the contents of a cell and then round the answer
up??

For instance, if I have 17 in a cell, I want it to half the 17 and then
round the answer up to 9 instead of returning 8.5.

Urgent help please.............!!

Thank you.

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MDBCT

If you have the analysis tool pack add in loaded, you can use
=CEILING((A1/2),1)

If you don't have the tool pack installed:

=-INT(-(A1/2))

"Louise" wrote:

How do I ask Excel to half the contents of a cell and then round the answer
up??

For instance, if I have 17 in a cell, I want it to half the 17 and then
round the answer up to 9 instead of returning 8.5.

Urgent help please.............!!

Thank you.

Louise

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MDBCT

The Round(A1/2,0) method will work with whole numbers only. If your data is
14.6, your method will result in 7, which is rounded down instead of up.

"Louise" wrote:

Done it!!! Doh!! Divide the cell by 2 and round it by 0..........

Had a blonde moment!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Louise

Hi

As it happens, all my numbers were whole numbers so it worked fine but
thanks very much for your answer below - I will keep this for future
reference, just in case they're not always whole numbers.

Louise