EMarre

Default Cell contents as the 'lookup value' parameter in HLOOKUP function

To anyone that could help me, I have the following question which I would
appreciate any answer in advance.

How can I use the contents of a cell (which I will change constantly) as the
'lookup value' parameter in an HLOOKUP function?

Example:

Cell A1 contains the value 'FY06DRN74DZ' (this are budget names I use to
identify files)

HLOOKUP ('lookup_value' = makes a reference to contents of cell A1.....

and changes as I change the value of A1.

Thanks again,

E Marre

Jon Quixley

Not quie sure what you are after here, but here is an explanation of the
HLOOKUP function in non-geek speak.

The layout of this function is -HLOOKUP(a1,$b$1:$c$100,2,true) where A1
is the lookup value you are trying to match against the table that is
defined in the next piece between the commas $b$1:$c$100. This defines
your table such that the value in cell A1 will exist somewhere in
column B though not neccessarily in B1. Having foud the exact value
(this is why the word TRUE is used at the end), the formula then
returns the value in the second column (this is the number 2 in the
formula.

I repeat that the number or value (phone number, address etc) HAS TO BE
IN THE FIRST COLUMN OF YOUR LOOKUP TABLE and EXACTLY THE SAME - these
two examples are not the same:
0-15488-4588
0-154884-588

Does this help?