Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stian

Default Very weird error

The following code is working for everyone but me:

=IF(MOD((i_LoadHeavy*2),3)0,
TEXT((i_LoadHeavy*2)/3,"###.#"),(i_LoadHeavy*2)/3)

This code is part of a worksheet used by many and developed by some guy on
the internet. When I try to load this worksheet into my Excel 2003 I get
complaints from the program.

On the codeline above, the program says the comma in the MOD function is
wrong and that the commas in the TEXT function is wrong. If the commas are
replaced by a semicolon it works fine. This, even though the help files say a
comma is perfectly fine.

The program also complains about the format: "###.#" for the TEXT function.
If I replace the dot with a comma it works.

Why does this line of code work for every other use of this worksheet but
not for me? Why are my functions seemingly different from others?

I have removed and reinstalled Office, but to no avail.
I am using Windows XP and Office 2003.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:36:21 -0800, "Stian"
wrote:

[...]

The separators are controlled by your Windows Regional settings (Start/Control
Panel/Regional and Language Options. Yours are set differently than the
others.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stian

Thanks for helping out Ron, that solved my problem.

Is there anything the developer can do to make this work no matter what
regional settings a user has?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:23:02 -0800, "Stian"
wrote:

Thanks for helping out Ron, that solved my problem.

Is there anything the developer can do to make this work no matter what
regional settings a user has?

I don't know enough about that sort of thing to answer.

Perhaps he could avoid the TEXT function by formatting the cell appropriately.
Or perhaps he could detect the locality using VBA and change various formulas
accordingly.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Stian

I would assume that your Regional Options need changing back to English(US).

Semi-colons and commas for decimal points are a European thing, I believe.

StartControl PanelRegional and Language Options.

Check your settings here.

Also check settings under Excel ToolsOptionsInternational for decimal
seperator.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP