Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Michelle Udell

Default Need help with Excel formulas

I need some help understanding some formulas that already exist on a workbook
that someone else made. Here is an example of one:

=IF(AND('Past Due Report' !E40, 'Past Due Report' !E4<16), 'Past Due
Report' !G4,0)

'Past Due Report' is the name of sheet 1 in the workbook, and the formulas
exist on sheet 3. What does the exclamation point mean?

I hope I explained my question clearly... thanks to whoever helps me!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Anne Troy

Hi, Michelle. The exclamation point is just a "break" that Excel uses to
differentiate between a sheet name and a cell reference. What the formula
means, in english, is if E4 is greater than zero AND E4 is less than 16 (so
somewhere between those two numbers), then return cell G4 (E4 and G4 being
from sheet1). The last part, which is the "comma zero" part, says that if
either of those two IFs are not true, return zero.
************
Anne Troy
VBA Project Manager
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Michelle Udell" <Michelle wrote in message
I need some help understanding some formulas that already exist on a
workbook
that someone else made. Here is an example of one:

=IF(AND('Past Due Report' !E40, 'Past Due Report' !E4<16), 'Past Due
Report' !G4,0)

'Past Due Report' is the name of sheet 1 in the workbook, and the formulas
exist on sheet 3. What does the exclamation point mean?

I hope I explained my question clearly... thanks to whoever helps me!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips

Also, note that the sheet name has single quotes around it, as it has
embedded spaces. Sometimes, if the sheet name is just a continuous string,
they are omitted.

--

HTH

RP