Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
BigDave

Default search for text within text

I have a single cell that can contain up to 41 different text strings
that are like this:

-text/text/Above 1/text- where I can have Above 1, Below 1 or Below
Ground

I'm looking for a function that will tell me if that text sting
contains a certain word (like "Above 1" in the example above). I want
to use the result of that function as an argument for an IF function.
I've already used a combination LEFT/SEARCH function, but since the
text length before and after what I'm looking for (e.g. Above 1)
varies, it isn't working.

Any ideas?

TIA

--
BigDave
BigDave's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7741

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Biff

Hi!

Try one of these:

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Above 1",A1))

Or:

=ISNUMBER(FIND("Above 1",A1))

FIND is case sensitive, SEARCH is not.

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Above 1",A1)),do_something,do_something_else)

Biff

"BigDave" wrote in
message ...

I have a single cell that can contain up to 41 different text strings
that are like this:

-text/text/Above 1/text- where I can have Above 1, Below 1 or Below
Ground

I'm looking for a function that will tell me if that text sting
contains a certain word (like "Above 1" in the example above). I want
to use the result of that function as an argument for an IF function.
I've already used a combination LEFT/SEARCH function, but since the
text length before and after what I'm looking for (e.g. Above 1)
varies, it isn't working.

Any ideas?

TIA

--
BigDave
BigDave's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=485920

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bobwhite

BigDave

Consider "=FIND("Above 1",A1)". It will give you the position in the Text
String where "Above 1" starts.