Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jimmy James

Default How do i set up a running balance on one row?

The built in Excel help gave me some new ideas (search for "Calculate a
running balance" in excel help), but I still want to see if someone out there
knows how to do what I'm trying to do.

I've set up a budget on excel, where all I have to do is enter in how much
my paycheck was for that week, and it will divide it up among preset impound
accounts according to my calculations. I would then take the divided up
amounts and manually enter them into my quickbooks program, which, after only
a month or two, is driving me crazy. I HATE double entry.
I'm trying to establish a running balance directly on my excel spreadsheet,
preferably on only one line, that will save my current totals, and allow me
to re-use that same spreadsheet to enter in my Next paycheck, and so on. I
also would like a million dollars tax free, but that ain't happening either,
I know.
Pretty much, all I'm trying to do is avoid double entry. If I can set up a
formula, or input field of some sort, I wouldn't care if I have to have more
than one line. I just don't want to have to recreate the formula on a whole
new workbook/worksheet, because it takes just as long as what I was doing.
Last question, is it possible there's already a program out there that will
do this?

Hoping there's a genius or two out there,
-Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
vezerid

Jim,
start by keeping all paycjecks and their breakdowns in a single table.
Use column A:A for paycheck date, use column B:B for paycheck amount
and then use the next columns for your formulas.
Assuming your data start from row 2, A2 would be the date, B2 would be
the amount, and then C2:H2 (imaginary) would contain the various
formulas for producing the sub-amounts from B2. These formulas can be
copied down for each new entry.

Running totals can then be dealt with, with formulas like:
=SUM($F$2:F2). Such a formula, copied down to row, say, 13, woulc
produce the sum of all cells F2:F13, to produce a running total of the
amounts allocated to the specific impound account.

Write back for more, if this helps.

Kostis Vezerides