Susan

Default How do I calculate a running balance?

I have a formula, ex. =E2+C2-D2 to calculate a running balance. I don't want
to enter it each time I add or subtract an amount. I can't figure out where
to put it in the balance column so my total is on the correct line. I also
can't figure out how to get it to carry down the balance column for as far as
I need it. I hope this makes sense. Thanks!
David McRitchie

Hi Susan,
You did not give the formula for a running balance.
Take a look at this page there are a few approaches.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm

Also while looking at it notice the use of OFFSET when getting
a running balance. Since you are not directly referring to another
row you can sort the rows, insert, and delete rows without having
to patch up or replace formulas afterwards.
---
HTH,