Quinn Ramsey

Default Formula in a writable field

I would like to set up a cell so that it can be either a writable field or it
will pull from a formula depending on other things in the spreadsheet. More
specifically, if the current date is after a point I want the field to
display data from a formula, but if it the current date is before that date I
want it to be a writable field that the user can input data with. I know how
to do some stuff with the date with conditional formatting or with a formula
itself. But I don't know how to make a cell both writable and come from a
formula depending on other things. Thanks

-Quinn
William Horton

You could use a formula that goes something like the following...

=IF(CurrentDate DateReference,ReferenceToFormula,"Enter Data")

Where ReferenceToFormula is either the formula or cell of what you want to
appear when the current date is greater than the reference date. If it is
not greather than the date reference "Enter Data" will appear in the cell
asking the user to enter something. You can play around with the conditional
formatting to get the cell to format the way you want based on the value.

Of course this formula will not force a user to enter data or stop a user
from overwriting the formula cell reference even if the current date is
greater than the date reference. You would have to do some macro coding to
force that.

Hope this is a start.

Bill Horton

"Quinn Ramsey" wrote:

I would like to set up a cell so that it can be either a writable field or it
will pull from a formula depending on other things in the spreadsheet. More
specifically, if the current date is after a point I want the field to
display data from a formula, but if it the current date is before that date I
want it to be a writable field that the user can input data with. I know how
to do some stuff with the date with conditional formatting or with a formula
itself. But I don't know how to make a cell both writable and come from a
formula depending on other things. Thanks

-Quinn

Quinn Ramsey

Thanks for the reply. My concern is with the overwriting. I want to somehow
make it so that even if they have written in the cell, if it is after a
certain date, the cell will display a formula instead of their input
information. I know there must be some way to do this using VBA, but I was
hoping for some sort of quick easy fix. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

-Quinn