Claude J Johnson CPA Australia

Default How can I use autosave from excel2000 in excel2003

I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one time
Nick Hodge

Claude

This was an add-in in XL2000 and was incorporated and vastly improved in
2002/3. I could never successfully stop the old add-in from crashing excel
so worked without back-up support

The new version can have it's duration set via ToolOptions...Save to
different times , default - 10 mins. What Excel then does is save a temp
file at the duration to the location shown on the same tab. If you close
excel and no error/crash has occurred then excel wipes the temp file. If
you don't close Excel then you can go to this location, add an .xls
extension to the file you find and it will open.

The new version is *vastly* improved and knowing the above, is there any
reason to need the old add-in?

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Claude J Johnson CPA Australia" <Claude J Johnson CPA
wrote in message
I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set
autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one
time

Dave Peterson

First, I've never had any trouble with autosave crashing excel--but I don't use
it. I don't want anything saving my files but me. (I save often.)

Saved from a previous post:

If you can find a copy of the autosave addin from an earlier version, it should
work ok.

But xl2002+ has something called autorecovery. It's not the same as autosave,
but will allow you to recover files if excel/windows crashes.

As an alternative, you may want to consider using Jan Karel Pieterse's addin
called AutoSafe (note spelling).

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or puts
them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups from the
recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm
(look for AutoSafe.zip, not autosafeVBE.zip, for your purposes.)

Jan Karel's version will know if there was a crash and prompt you to open the
last version it saved.

===
And Gord Dibben posted this:

Autosave.xla from Office 2000 or 97 will work with Excel 2002 or 2003.
If you have a previous copy, move it to your Office\Library.
To download the 97 version see here........
http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

Claude J Johnson CPA Australia wrote:

I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one time

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
karrenb

AUUUGGGGG, I always used autosave in both word and excel. I too have multiple
files open at the same time. Today, someone working on my computer closed
excel and said no when asked to save. As a result all of my changes were
lost. I had thought that by setting autorecovery I was safe, but since this
was not a crash but a clean exit, my work is lost. AUTORECOVERY is NOT better
than auto save. WHY oh WHY did Microsoft take this away!!!!

HELP Please. I will try the suggested Jan Karel version. My IT guy hates us
trying stuff like this, but I desperately need an autosave function.

Karren

wrote in message
I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set
autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one
time

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JE McGimpsey

An even better workaround is to train your fingers to hit CTRL-s every
time you pause. It wasn't necessarily easy, but I haven't lost more than
a minute or two's work in several years.

In article ,
"karrenb" wrote:

AUUUGGGGG, I always used autosave in both word and excel. I too have multiple
files open at the same time. Today, someone working on my computer closed
excel and said no when asked to save. As a result all of my changes were
lost. I had thought that by setting autorecovery I was safe, but since this
was not a crash but a clean exit, my work is lost. AUTORECOVERY is NOT better
than auto save. WHY oh WHY did Microsoft take this away!!!!

HELP Please. I will try the suggested Jan Karel version. My IT guy hates us
trying stuff like this, but I desperately need an autosave function.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Gord Dibben posted this:

Autosave.xla from Office 2000 or 97 will work with Excel 2002 or 2003.
If you have a previous copy, move it to your Office\Library.
To download the 97 version see here........
http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

==========
You can put it in the addin folder or you can just browse for that location via
the tools|addins dialog.

wrote in message
I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set
autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one
time

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
karrenb

Ok Nevermind using Autosafe. It is simply the same as AutoRecovery. CAn
anyone help me with an autosave program??????

wrote in message
I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set
autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one
time

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
karrenb

THANK YOU. I HAVE DOWNLOADED IT SET MY TIMING AND AM ALL SET. THANKS, THANKS,
THANKS........NOW ANYONE WITH A MIRACLE WAY TO GET BACK MY LOST WORK???

wrote in message
I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set
autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one
time

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Karren

JK's autosafe is not the same as autorecovery.

You can store the incremental backups in a folder of your choice and then dump
them to the Recycle bin for you to recover the latest from the list after you
have closed the file.

Autorecovery does not allow that.

See Dave's post about downloading AUTOSAVE.XLA

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

wrote in message
I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set
autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one
time

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Claude J Johnson CPA Australia

To Gord Dibbon

I put your response into place and now have the old autosave working with
excel 2003 just as I had in previous versions

Having more than one computer i went to the library file of another computer
and copied it over

I have had no trouble since and we have been working for about a month

Many thanks for the advice and I am passing your advice on to others

Many thanks

Claude

wrote in message
I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set
autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one
time

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben

Thanks for the feedback Claude.

Now I'll have lots of cellmates<g

Gord

wrote in message
I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set
autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one
time

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MELISSA

Thank you - I was about to ask a similar question, I am just very happy you
guys already posted the answer. I did it, and now I have autosave back.
THANK YOU AGAIN

IT'S NOT THE SAME AS AUTO RECOVERY IT'S SO MUCH MORE.

wrote in message
I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set
autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one
time

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nick:
I haven't had to use autorecovery or autosave yet but as a very large file
is involved, I need to know if anything happens to this file, the data will
be recovered successfully.
Your previous reply was helpful but could you please elaborate on:
"save a temp file at the duration to a location shown on the same tab" -
ie: where would this temp file be? What would it be called? What is the
same tab?
Thank you for your consideration of this request.
joan

wrote in message
I have just upgraded from excel 2000 to excel 2003 I have always set
autosave
to 5 minutes in case I press the wrong button as I did tonight. I also had
autosave set to save all open workbooks
I am a heavy user of excel and often have many workbooks open at the one
time

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you're using Excel 2002 or 2003, there is no Autosave in XL2002 and 2003 as
there was in earlier versions.

Autorecovery from ToolsOptionsSave is it. This is not the same as Autosave
which made true incremental saves at intervals and alerted you before saving.

Autorecovery just saves a temporary file which it deletes if Excel closes
normally without incident.

BTW.....Dave Peterson reports that he tried an earlier version of Autosave.xla
in XL2002 and it seemed to work fine.

I have also tried the Autosave.XLA from XL97 on 2002 and 2003 and does the job.

To download the 97 version go here.....

http://www.stat.jmu.edu/trep/Marchat/sp2001/Library.htm

In addition to the above......Jan Karel Pieterse has an addin called AutoSafe
which also doen't alert before saving.

It doesn't overwrite the existing workbook when it saves. It saves to a user
selectable folder. And when it's done, it either deletes these backups (or
puts them in the recycle bin). And the user can always restore the backups
from the recycle bin.

http://www.jkp-ads.com/Download.htm

(look for AutoSafe.zip)

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP