Cin

Default Creating a Formula

I need to create a formula that basically says: If A2 is less than 200,000.00
then multiply A2 by rate.
Can anyone help the only thing I can find tells me that it is true of false
and I need the value to calculate.
Niek Otten

What if it is not less than 200,000?
If you require it to remain the same: (if the rate is in A3)

=IF(A2<200000,A2*A3,A2)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Cin" wrote:
I need to create a formula that basically says:
If A2 is less than 200,000.00 then multiply A2
by rate.

.... Else what? Try:

=IF(A2 < 200000, 200000*rate, 200000)

That assumes if the A2 is not less than 200,000,
you simply want 200,000.

By the way, that also assumes that "rate" is the
exact multiple you are interested in. If instead you
intended to say "increases 200,000 by a rate",
replace "rate" by "(1+rate)" above.

Finally, some might suggest the following alternative:

=IF(A2 < 200000, 200000*rate)

IMHO, that is very poor form because it will return the
value FALSE, not a value of the same units as 200000.
Normally that creates problems later. If you want the
cell to appear blank in the false condition, write:

=IF(A2 < 200000, 200000*rate, "")

Caveat: Although the resulting cell might appear to be
empty in the false condition, it does not behave exactly
the same as a truly empty cell in all cases for other
formulas that depend on that cell.

Biff

Hi!

What do you want to do if A2 = 200,000 ?

=IF(AND(A2<"",A2<200000),A2*Rate,"")

If A2 = 200,000 the formula leaves the cell blank. (not to be confused with
EMPTY)

Biff