Todd

Default Nesting SUMIF formulas

Can I nest a SUMIF within a SUMIF formula?
chalky

Yes. Upto 7 i believe but how are you planning on doing it?

--
chalky
chalky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23758

Peo Sjoblom

No you can't. Post the problem and you'll probably will receive a solution
though

Peo Sjoblom

"Todd" wrote in message
Can I nest a SUMIF within a SUMIF formula?

Todd

I have a file set up in database fashion that I am trying to find the easiest
way to summarize data using more than one criteria. I am also looking into
using tables. This database gets added to and resorted frequently so I did
not want to use Subtotals.

For instance a database of automobiles that includes Make, Model and several
other distinguishing fields. I was trying to use a SUMIF formula to give me
the total of all the Ford Explorers vs. Jeep Cherokees vs. Dodge Rams etc.
I could not figure out how to actually write a nested SUMIF formula on both
the Make and Model fields.

"chalky" wrote:

Yes. Upto 7 i believe but how are you planning on doing it?

--
chalky
chalky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23758
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=484302

Peo Sjoblom

Use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Make_Range="Ford"),--(Model_Range="Explorer"),Sum_Range)

replace the hardcoded Ford and Explorer with cells like B2 and C2 in where
you would type the make and model thus avoiding to having to edit the
formula when you change make/model

Ranges need to be of the same size and cannot be the whole column like
A:A as opposed to A2:A100

Peo Sjoblom

"chalky" wrote:

Yes. Upto 7 i believe but how are you planning on doing it?

--
chalky
chalky's Profile:

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Phil

The formula you have posted resolves a problem I have been having.

However, I cannot see why it works (as SUMPRODUCT multipllies corresponding
components in the given arrays and sums the answer). How can arrays that
don't have values be multiplied. Are the minus signs significant here. I
notice that if you remove them the formula doesnt work

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Make_Range="Ford"),--(Model_Range="Explorer"),Sum_Range)

replace the hardcoded Ford and Explorer with cells like B2 and C2 in where
you would type the make and model thus avoiding to having to edit the
formula when you change make/model

Ranges need to be of the same size and cannot be the whole column like
A:A as opposed to A2:A100

Peo Sjoblom

"chalky" wrote:

Yes. Upto 7 i believe but how are you planning on doing it?

--
chalky
chalky's Profile:

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Roger Govier

Hi

The tests will return TRUE or FALSE.
Multiplying by the double unary (--) coerces these results to 1 and 0
respectively which are then used within the Sumproduct array
calculation.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

Use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(Make_Range="Ford"),--(Model_Range="Explorer"),Sum_Range)

replace the hardcoded Ford and Explorer with cells like B2 and C2 in
where
you would type the make and model thus avoiding to having to edit the
formula when you change make/model

Ranges need to be of the same size and cannot be the whole column
like
A:A as opposed to A2:A100

Peo Sjoblom