Jackie D

Default Columns in excel 2003

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create extra columns in excel that
are independent from the row above. e.g. can I have four columns in one row
and eight in the one below?
--

Many thanks
JD

Harlan Grove

Jackie D wrote...
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create extra columns in excel that
are independent from the row above. e.g. can I have four columns in one row
and eight in the one below?

No.

Roger Govier

Hi Jackie

You can't.
You can merge cells, to have 4 blocks of 2 merged cells in row 1, which
would have the appearance of being what you want.
Highlight 2 cells, FormatCellsAlignment and click Merge.

Beware of merged cells when sorting or in some other instances where they do
not behave as you might expect.

Alternatively mark 2 cells and FormatCellsAlignmentHorizontal and from
dropdown choose centre across selection. Place a border around each pair of
cells treated in this way, and place borders around individual cells on the
row below.

Regards

Roger Govier

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create extra columns in excel that
are independent from the row above. e.g. can I have four columns in one row
and eight in the one below?

Jackie D

Discovered that I can merge cells to give the appearance of independent
column widths. That'll do fine.
--

Many thanks
JD