-   -   Columns in excel 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/54837-columns-excel-2003-a.html)

Jackie D

Columns in excel 2003

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create extra columns in excel that
are independent from the row above. e.g. can I have four columns in one row
and eight in the one below?
--

Many thanks
JD

Bob Phillips

Columns in excel 2003

No, you can merge cells (FormatCellsalignment), but not specifically what
you ask.

--

HTH

RP

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create extra columns in excel that
are independent from the row above. e.g. can I have four columns in one

row
and eight in the one below?
--

Many thanks
JD

Harlan Grove

Columns in excel 2003

Jackie D wrote...
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create extra columns in excel that
are independent from the row above. e.g. can I have four columns in one row
and eight in the one below?

No.

Roger Govier

Columns in excel 2003

Hi Jackie

You can't.
You can merge cells, to have 4 blocks of 2 merged cells in row 1, which
would have the appearance of being what you want.
Highlight 2 cells, FormatCellsAlignment and click Merge.

Beware of merged cells when sorting or in some other instances where they do
not behave as you might expect.

Alternatively mark 2 cells and FormatCellsAlignmentHorizontal and from
dropdown choose centre across selection. Place a border around each pair of
cells treated in this way, and place borders around individual cells on the
row below.

Regards

Roger Govier

Jackie D wrote:
Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create extra columns in excel that
are independent from the row above. e.g. can I have four columns in one row
and eight in the one below?

Jackie D

Columns in excel 2003

Right. Thanks
--

Many thanks
JD

"Jackie D" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create extra columns in excel that
are independent from the row above. e.g. can I have four columns in one

row
and eight in the one below?
--

Many thanks
JD

Jackie D

Columns in excel 2003

Discovered that I can merge cells to give the appearance of independent
column widths. That'll do fine.
--

Many thanks
JD

"Harlan Grove" wrote:

Jackie D wrote...
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create extra columns in excel that
are independent from the row above. e.g. can I have four columns in one row
and eight in the one below?

No.

Jackie D

Columns in excel 2003