Markitos

Default Formula for date function

Hello

I have a worksheet with a column that has an exp date. If the date is
today's date or a previous date I would like to have the date turn red. (I
think this function is in conditional formatting but im unsure of a formula)
help! and thanks
Frank Kabel

Hi
in the conditional format dialog enter a formzla
=A1<=TODAY()

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Markitos wrote:
Hello

I have a worksheet with a column that has an exp date. If the date is
today's date or a previous date I would like to have the date turn
red. (I think this function is in conditional formatting but im
unsure of a formula) help! and thanks

Markitos

Thanks again frank! Hey, I was wondering if their is a way to transfer the
date to another worksheet within a workbox if the exp date is expired. Also
would it be possible to make it so the their will be no spaces left blank
(condense to fill in top-bottem). Thx-Markitos

"Markitos" wrote:

Hello

I have a worksheet with a column that has an exp date. If the date is
today's date or a previous date I would like to have the date turn red. (I
think this function is in conditional formatting but im unsure of a formula)
help! and thanks

Max

"Markitos" wrote
.. was wondering if their is a way to transfer the
date to another worksheet within a workbox
if the exp date is expired. Also would it be possible
to make it so the their will be no spaces left blank
(condense to fill in top-bottem) ..

Give this a play ..

Assume you have in Sheet1, cols A to C
data from row2 down

Date Field1 Field2
31-Oct-04 Data1 Data2
01-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
02-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
03-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
04-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
05-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
06-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
etc

Using an empty col to the right of the data, say, col E

Put in E2: =IF(A2="","",IF(A2<TODAY(),ROW(),""))
Copy down as many rows as data is expected in cols A to C

In a new Sheet2
----------------------
With the same col headers in A1:C1, viz:
Date Field1 Field2

Put in A2:

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(SMALL(Sheet1!$E:$E,ROW(A1)),Shee t1!$E:$E,0)),"",OFFSET(She
et1!$A$1,MATCH(SMALL(Sheet1!$E:$E,ROW(A1)),Sheet1! $E:$E,0)-1,COLUMN(A1)-1))

Copy A2 across to C2, fill down by as many rows
as was done in col E of Sheet1

Format col A as dates

Sheet2 will extract only* the rows from Sheet1
where the dates in col A have since expired,
i.e. < TODAY() [as per formula in col E of Sheet1]
*and without any blank rows in-between

For the sample data in Sheet1,
it'll show** in Sheet2 as:

Date Field1 Field2
31-Oct-04 Data1 Data2
01-Nov-04 Data1 Data2

**"Today" is : 2-Nov-2004 over here
--
Rgds
Max

Markitos

THX VERY MUCH MAX!
I tried to put this into my wookbook I MANAGED TO GET THE FIRST FORMULA TO
WORK,BUT THE SECOND IS CONFUSING ME.

IN MY WOOKBOOK I HAVE 8 SHEETS TOTAL . 7 are sheets with dates and one is to
be the report sheet.

on the sheets the dates are entered on column J, and I have the formula on
column P. (THIS FORMULA IS WORKING FINE).
one the reports sheet it is formatted the same as the other sheets. I tried
to insert the formula with cell/ # changes but it wouldnt work and im
confused with the -1's in the formula.
Also Im unsure if it would be different if I have 7 sheets which I want to
pull from. Also I was trying to have the the info from cells A THROUGH O
COPIED ONTO THE REPORTS PAGE.
I KNOWN THIS QUITE A CHALLENAGE, BUT ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE HELPFUL.

THANKS-AGAIN.

"Max" wrote:

"Markitos" wrote
.. was wondering if their is a way to transfer the
date to another worksheet within a workbox
if the exp date is expired. Also would it be possible
to make it so the their will be no spaces left blank
(condense to fill in top-bottem) ..

Give this a play ..

Assume you have in Sheet1, cols A to C
data from row2 down

Date Field1 Field2
31-Oct-04 Data1 Data2
01-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
02-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
03-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
04-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
05-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
06-Nov-04 Data1 Data2
etc

Using an empty col to the right of the data, say, col E

Put in E2: =IF(A2="","",IF(A2<TODAY(),ROW(),""))
Copy down as many rows as data is expected in cols A to C

In a new Sheet2
----------------------
With the same col headers in A1:C1, viz:
Date Field1 Field2

Put in A2:

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(SMALL(Sheet1!$E:$E,ROW(A1)),Shee t1!$E:$E,0)),"",OFFSET(She
et1!$A$1,MATCH(SMALL(Sheet1!$E:$E,ROW(A1)),Sheet1! $E:$E,0)-1,COLUMN(A1)-1))

Copy A2 across to C2, fill down by as many rows
as was done in col E of Sheet1

Format col A as dates

Sheet2 will extract only* the rows from Sheet1
where the dates in col A have since expired,
i.e. < TODAY() [as per formula in col E of Sheet1]
*and without any blank rows in-between

For the sample data in Sheet1,
it'll show** in Sheet2 as:

Date Field1 Field2
31-Oct-04 Data1 Data2
01-Nov-04 Data1 Data2

**"Today" is : 2-Nov-2004 over here
--
Rgds
Max
Please respond in thread
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Max

Ah .. looks like the specs have expanded somewhat <g

The set-up suggested earlier assumes a *single* source Sheet1 where data
rows with expired dates are to be extracted into another Sheet2 (the # of
cols to be extracted over is not a prob)

If you could re-design your set-up to be into a single source
instead of 7 separate sheets, or consider
performing a daily manual copy paste data operation
from all 7 source sheets into a single source "Sheet1"
(just copy *all* data rows from each of the 7 source sheets and "stack" them
up block by block below each other in any order in Sheet1), then this'll
work ..

In Sheet1 (< the sheet with consolidated data)
-------------
Dates are in col J, J2 down

Put in say, P2: =IF(J2="","",IF(J2<TODAY(),ROW(),""))

Copy P2 down by a safe "max" number of rows
to cover the consolidated data expected in cols A to O,
say down to P2000

(think you got this part working earlier ..)

In Sheet2
-------------
CopyPaste the headers for cols A to O
from Sheet1 into A1:O1

Put in A2:

=IF(ISERROR(MATCH(SMALL(Sheet1!$P:$P,ROW(A1)),Shee t1!$P:$P,0)),"",OFFSET(She
et1!$A$1,MATCH(SMALL(Sheet1!$P:$P,ROW(A1)),Sheet1! $P:$P,0)-1,COLUMN(A1)-1))

Copy across to O2, then fill down to O2000

The formulas in Sheet2 will extract only rows
where the dates in col J have expired in Sheet1

The "-1" in ..COLUMN(A1)-1..
(this is the cols param in the OFFSET formula)
is just an arithmetic adjustment made to
ensure that the OFFSET formula returns the correct results
in the start cell A2, and as we copy A2 across to O2

"COLUMN(A1)-1" in A2 will return zero
as we copy A2 across to B2, it'll change to
"COLUMN(B1)-1" in B2 which returns 1, and so on

(we're using COLUMN() as the incrementer as we copy across)

In A2, the zero in the cols param means extract from col zero
i.e. col A, the same column as the OFFSET's base reference
cell: $A$1.

In B2, "1" in the cols param will mean extract from one col to the right of
col A, i.e. from col B. And so on.
--
If you'd like to have a sample file via private email,
just post a "readable" email add in response here
"Markitos" wrote in message
[...]

Markitos

Thx Max your so good. What i ended up doing was keep all seven sheets but i
added another and condenced all seven into one, then put the formula in with
just changing the sheet.

YES I HAVE YET ANOTHER QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEP....
I WAS TRYING TO SORT THE REPORT PAGE BY DATE AND FAILED. WHAT IAM TRYING TO
ACC. IS TO GET THE SHEET TO AUTO SORT BY DATE. W/ OLDEST DATE COMPARED TO
TODAY TO BE ON TOP THEN SO ON.

THX- MUCHO!, YOUR P I M P

"Max" wrot:

"Markitos" wrote in message
[...]

Max

The suggested set-up already returns an
auto-descending sort by date in Sheet2 (the report sheet),
with the earliest (oldest) expired date on top and so on,
so I'm not sure what happened ..

Maybe you'd like to have a sample file via private email?
If so, post a "readable" email add in response here

Btw, pl don't use a lot of caps (it's kinda hard to read) ..

--
Rgds
Max
"Markitos" wrote in message
Thx Max your so good. What i ended up doing was keep all seven sheets but

added another and condenced all seven into one, then put the formula in

with
just changing the sheet.

YES I HAVE YET ANOTHER QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEP....
I WAS TRYING TO SORT THE REPORT PAGE BY DATE AND FAILED. WHAT IAM TRYING

ACC. IS TO GET THE SHEET TO AUTO SORT BY DATE. W/ OLDEST DATE COMPARED TO
TODAY TO BE ON TOP THEN SO ON.

THX- MUCHO!, YOUR P I M P

Markitos

Thx- again Max
you now I think I finally got, but I sent you the file, to your yohoo
address, in the subject line it says from Markitos. I attached the file. Let
me know what you think. As youll see I have two sheet of info, one sheet that
put both together, and finally a reports sheet, its the only way that i can
get it to work out correct. I also tried putting both sheets in the formula
but it doesnt return any values. But the way I have it now works but it has
an extra sheet, but ill just move it the the end and lock the cells.

thanks-again-Markitos

"Markitos" wrote in message
Thx Max your so good. What i ended up doing was keep all seven sheets but

added another and condenced all seven into one, then put the formula in

with
just changing the sheet.

YES I HAVE YET ANOTHER QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEP....
I WAS TRYING TO SORT THE REPORT PAGE BY DATE AND FAILED. WHAT IAM TRYING

ACC. IS TO GET THE SHEET TO AUTO SORT BY DATE. W/ OLDEST DATE COMPARED TO
TODAY TO BE ON TOP THEN SO ON.

THX- MUCHO!, YOUR P I M P

Max

In sheetnamed: II
------------------------
This sheet is where you consolidate the data from Sheet1 and Sheet2

I'd suggest not to use link formulas like: =Sheet1!A2 to bring the data
over,
you're very likely to run into human errors when you copy across/down
(especially at the transition stages where Sheet1 ends and Sheet2 begins,
etc)

Just do a plain: copy paste special values over to this sheet
of data from Sheet1, followed by data from Sheet2 (below Sheet1), and so on.

Also the formula in P2 has been wrongly implemented ..
In P2: =IF(Sheet1!J2<TODAY(),ROW(),"")

should simply be:
In P2: =IF(J2<TODAY(),ROW(),""), copied down

Believe the new issues you mention in your post *are* related
to your use of link formulas
instead of a plain copy paste special values operation

For a cleaner look in the report sheet,
you could suppress extraneous zeros from showing via clicking:
Tools Options View tab Uncheck Zero values OK
(this has been implemented in the revised sample file returned to you)

---------------
To auto-merge data from each data sheet into a single sheet::

Try Ron de Bruin's page at:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm#sheet

Or, try posting in excel.programming for help with a macro
which could do this tailored to your actual sheet set-up

--
Rgds
Max
"Markitos" wrote in message
Thx- again Max
you now I think I finally got, but I sent you the file, to your yohoo
address, in the subject line it says from Markitos. I attached the file.

Let
me know what you think. As youll see I have two sheet of info, one sheet

that
put both together, and finally a reports sheet, its the only way that i

can
get it to work out correct. I also tried putting both sheets in the

formula
but it doesnt return any values. But the way I have it now works but it

has
an extra sheet, but ill just move it the the end and lock the cells.

thanks-again-Markitos

Max

Sorry, think formula in col P also needs to be refined ..

In sheetnamed: II
------------------------

In P2: =IF(J2<TODAY(),ROW(),""), copied down

Should be amended to:

In P2: =IF(J2<TODAY(),J2+ROW()/10^10,"")
Copy P2 down

The above will now act as an arbitrary tie-breaker as there's
identical dates repeated in different rows in the consol sheet

All the cases in the report sheet should now sort properly
in descending order by dates in col J

(File returned to you carries the above amended formula)
--
Rgds
Max
Please respond, in newsgroup
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
---

Markitos

Max, thanks again. I see your point in doing a simple cut and paste into the
report build up page (11) in workbook. (before the way I came up with was to
put a date in unused colums) which is too time consuming. and the new formula
for the report page is great, this is the one that puts the dates in the
order i wanted. On the report page I was woundering if their is a way to
delete an entry if it is the same patient name. Some of my providers see the
same child so the childs name will be one a few of the sheets. then when i
copy it into (11) their will continue to be 2 of the same childs name and
then that will transfer into the reports sheet. Is their a function for this
or is it just better to delete it manually. hey also I wish I know more about
complete formulas and macros. Ive looked at a few lession in microsoft
dealing with micro's but Im still confused. Im ok with basic formulas but
not complex. Do you know of a good resource for enhancing my skills is these
areas. ie...books, or websites.
OH Ya , thanks again Max for all your help. not sure if you work for
microsoft or are just a member giving advice but thanks for all your help.
-Markitos

"Markitos" wrote in message
Thx Max your so good. What i ended up doing was keep all seven sheets but

added another and condenced all seven into one, then put the formula in

with
just changing the sheet.

YES I HAVE YET ANOTHER QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEP....
I WAS TRYING TO SORT THE REPORT PAGE BY DATE AND FAILED. WHAT IAM TRYING

ACC. IS TO GET THE SHEET TO AUTO SORT BY DATE. W/ OLDEST DATE COMPARED TO
TODAY TO BE ON TOP THEN SO ON.

THX- MUCHO!, YOUR P I M P

Markitos

HEllo, i was wondering if their is a way to get dates that will expire within
the current month. the format Im using now is
=IF(J3<TODAY(),J3+ROW()/10^10,"") which is for today or past. but I would
like the formula to grab dates that are going to expire within this month, or
have already expirexed. Ive played around w/it alittle but the formulas have
errors. Thanks for your help - markitos

"Markitos" wrote in message
Thx Max your so good. What i ended up doing was keep all seven sheets but
added another and condenced all seven into one, then put the formula in
with
just changing the sheet.

YES I HAVE YET ANOTHER QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEP....
I WAS TRYING TO SORT THE REPORT PAGE BY DATE AND FAILED. WHAT IAM TRYING
ACC. IS TO GET THE SHEET TO AUTO SORT BY DATE. W/ OLDEST DATE COMPARED TO
TODAY TO BE ON TOP THEN SO ON.

THX- MUCHO!, YOUR P I M P

Max

Replace:

=IF(J3<TODAY(),J3+ROW()/10^10,"")

with:

=IF(DATE(YEAR(J3),MONTH(J3),1)<TODAY(),J3+ROW()/10^10,"")

Copy down the col

The above will return what you want
--
Rgds
Max
"Markitos" wrote in message
HEllo, i was wondering if their is a way to get dates that will expire

within
the current month. the format Im using now is
=IF(J3<TODAY(),J3+ROW()/10^10,"") which is for today or past. but I would
like the formula to grab dates that are going to expire within this month,

or
have already expirexed. Ive played around w/it alittle but the formulas

have
errors. Thanks for your help - markitos

Max

Think <bg you're asking way too many Q's in
a *single* post, and this thread is also getting
long in the tooth

One post is supposed to be only for *one* question.

Would suggest you put in your new Q's as *new* posts
(Remember the maxim: 1 Q per post). See also Chip's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

Do you know of a good resource for
enhancing my (Excel) skills in these
areas. ie...books, or websites.

Here's a couple to check out ..
(List is in no particular order and
certainly *not* exhaustive .. )

David McRitchie's .. :
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#tutorials
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...tm#vbtutorials

Debra Dalgleish's:
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Chip Pearson's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/topic.htm

J.E. McGimpsey's:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/index.html

John Walkenbach's:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm

Tushar Mehta's:
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/

Jon Peltier's:
http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/

Bob Phillip's:
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.UsingMenu.html

Ron de Bruin's [Google search Add-In]:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm

And don't forget these wonderful excel newsgroups <g

So with that .. let's close this thread ..
(I've also answered your "last" query in the other thread).

but before that, an "important" clarification ..

not sure if you work for
microsoft or are just a member giving advice

No, I don't work for MS. Think responders from *MS*
(if any) would carry their "MS" signature at the bottom

Me? .. just an ordinary guy enjoying himself here,
sharing with others & learning from others. cheers.
--
Rgds
Max