ryesworld

Default How to Count Rows with defined values in multiple columns

I need a formula or function that will sum the number of occurences a
specific text string is entered into cells in column B. I only want to count
the occurences when a number that is in column A (on the same row as the
text) is equal to a specific number. Sounds easy but it's very frustrating.
Bruno Campanini

"ryesworld" wrote in message
I need a formula or function that will sum the number of occurences a
specific text string is entered into cells in column B. I only want to
count
the occurences when a number that is in column A (on the same row as the
text) is equal to a specific number. Sounds easy but it's very
frustrating.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(AA1:AA6=YourNumber),--(AB1:AB6="YourString"))

Ciao
Bruno

RagDyer

With the text to look up entered in D1,
And the specific number to use in C1, try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A20=C1)*(B1:B20=D1))

--
HTH,

RD

"ryesworld" wrote in message
I need a formula or function that will sum the number of occurences a
specific text string is entered into cells in column B. I only want to

count
the occurences when a number that is in column A (on the same row as the
text) is equal to a specific number. Sounds easy but it's very

frustrating.

ryesworld

Right idea but it gave me a "#NUM!" error. I think this formula must only be
for numbers. I need to count the number of times a string of text is entered
- when it's on the same row as a specific number.

"Bruno Campanini" wrote:

"ryesworld" wrote in message
I need a formula or function that will sum the number of occurences a
specific text string is entered into cells in column B. I only want to
count
the occurences when a number that is in column A (on the same row as the
text) is equal to a specific number. Sounds easy but it's very
frustrating.

=SUMPRODUCT(--(AA1:AA6=YourNumber),--(AB1:AB6="YourString"))

Ciao
Bruno

Bruno Campanini

"RagDyer" wrote in message
With the text to look up entered in D1,
And the specific number to use in C1, try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A20=C1)*(B1:B20=D1))

You are right my friend!
Using "*" instead of "," the formula becomes
four-byte shorter.

Bruno

Bruno Campanini

"ryesworld" wrote in message
Right idea but it gave me a "#NUM!" error. I think this formula must only
be
for numbers. I need to count the number of times a string of text is
entered
- when it's on the same row as a specific number.

Sorry ryesworld,

1 ab
2 bc
3 bc
1 ad
3 bc
3 ad

=SUMPRODUCT(--(AA1:AA6=3),--(AB1:AB6="bc"))
gives 2.

The result is correct.
Is it not?

Bruno

ryesworld

Sorry Bruno, Your Formula does work, but not for my situation... the two
lookup ranges (AA1:AA6 & AB1:AB6) are on a separate sheet. This produces a
#VALUE! error. Any Ideas? (Also, it's strange that the formula doesn't work
at all if a lookup range is an entire column, ie: AA:AA)