dknibbe

Default Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting

I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

Chip Pearson

Try the following formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10="compliance"),--(B1:B10<""))

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"dknibbe" wrote in message
I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that
correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

Chip Pearson

=sumproduct(--(a1:a100=b1:b100))

This will count only those cells in which values in column A
equals the values in column B, including the case when both A and
B are blank. Not what the original poster desired.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Duke Carey" wrote in
message
=sumproduct(--(a1:a100=b1:b100))

"dknibbe" wrote:

I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that
correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

dknibbe

Duke-

Maybe I am doing it wrong but I got a "1" when I applied the formula.
Essentially, I need to generate a conditional formula that will count the
non-blank cells that correspond the value in Column A.

"Duke Carey" wrote:

=sumproduct(--(a1:a100=b1:b100))

"dknibbe" wrote:

I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

Duke Carey

Try

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="Compliance"),--(ISBLANK(B1:B100)))

Sorry about the original, incorrect answer - comes from not reading
questions very carefully