-   -   Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/54113-non-blank-cells-conditional-counting.html)

dknibbe

Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting

I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

Duke Carey

Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting

=sumproduct(--(a1:a100=b1:b100))

"dknibbe" wrote:

I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

Chip Pearson

Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting

Try the following formula

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10="compliance"),--(B1:B10<""))

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"dknibbe" wrote in message
I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that
correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

Chip Pearson

Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting

=sumproduct(--(a1:a100=b1:b100))

This will count only those cells in which values in column A
equals the values in column B, including the case when both A and
B are blank. Not what the original poster desired.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Duke Carey" wrote in
message
=sumproduct(--(a1:a100=b1:b100))

"dknibbe" wrote:

I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that
correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

dknibbe

Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting

Duke-

Maybe I am doing it wrong but I got a "1" when I applied the formula.
Essentially, I need to generate a conditional formula that will count the
non-blank cells that correspond the value in Column A.

"Duke Carey" wrote:

=sumproduct(--(a1:a100=b1:b100))

"dknibbe" wrote:

I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

dknibbe

Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting

Chip-

For some reason the formula is counting column A whereas, I want to count
Column B

"dknibbe" wrote in message
I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B that
correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

Chip Pearson

Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting

The function count the number of times "compliance" occurs in
column A with a corresponding non-blank cell in column B.

--

"dknibbe" wrote in message
I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B
that
correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

dknibbe

Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting

Oh okay. Well I want to count the number of blank cells in column B that
correspond with "Compliance" in Column A.

"dknibbe" wrote in message
I have two columns of data:

A B
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......
Compliance Text......

I want to count the number of non-blank cells in Column B
that
correspond to
"Compliance" in column A.

I desperately need help!

Duke Carey

Non-Blank Cells: Conditional Counting

Try

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100="Compliance"),--(ISBLANK(B1:B100)))

Sorry about the original, incorrect answer - comes from not reading
questions very carefully