clickmule

Default Sorting imported .txt data in Excel

I have to sort a text string that contains data with * separating each
item ie:

399*60.15*28.95*NAME*Rogers,Fred*101805

There are over 300 of these names in one string. I want to sort each
name as a row with the data following. I need this to be done
automatically because the data is time sensitive.

Thanks in advance
:)

--
clickmule
clickmule's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28519

Gary L Brown

Do you mean 300 strings each with the format like...
399*60.15*28.95*NAME*Rogers,Fred*101805
ie: 300 lines such as: number * number * number * the word "NAME" * a name
* number
???
or 1 line with 300 pieces of data...
399*60.15*28.95*NAME*Rogers,Fred*101805399*60.15*2 8.95*NAME*Rogers,Fred*101805399*60.15*28.95*NAME*R ogers,Fred*101805399*60.15*28.95*NAME*Rogers,Fred* 101805
???

The first can be done with a formula, the 2nd probably needs a macro.

--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''''Yes'''' button next to
''''Was this Post Helpfull to you?".

"clickmule" wrote:

I have to sort a text string that contains data with * separating each
item ie:

399*60.15*28.95*NAME*Rogers,Fred*101805

There are over 300 of these names in one string. I want to sort each
name as a row with the data following. I need this to be done
automatically because the data is time sensitive.

Thanks in advance
:)

--
clickmule
clickmule's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=481757

clickmule

The .txt string contains over 300 names with additional data. What
would a suitable macro look like. What would it do. I don't want
someone to write a free macro but I would like your input.

Thanks
Karl

--
clickmule
clickmule's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28519
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=481757

Gary L Brown

clickmule,
Send me the string in an email to " without the
_NOSPAM part and I'll give you a hand.
Gary