6-shooter

Default How do I "Wrap Text" & "Autofit" within Merged Cells in Excel?

Merged cells seem to be treated differently than single cells when it comes
to this functionality. Are there any tricks to working around this issue?

Frank Kabel

Hi
it just don't work in Excel. Best would be to not use merged cells at
all!

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

6-shooter wrote:
Merged cells seem to be treated differently than single cells when it
comes to this functionality. Are there any tricks to working around
this issue?

Gord Dibben

Merged cells will allow "wrap text" from FormatCellsAlignment but..........

Excel has a problem auto-fitting merged cells.

You can resize manually or via Macro. Jim Rech has written
code for this.

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp05

Note also a recent adaptation of this code by Greg Wilson.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P37D24B15

The best cure is DON"T USE MERGED CELLS. They cause no end of problems with
copying, pasting, sorting, filtering.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:54:15 -0700, 6-shooter
wrote:

Merged cells seem to be treated differently than single cells when it comes
to this functionality. Are there any tricks to working around this issue?

ruralkansas

Sometimes you have to merge cells as in the top row labels, etc. I've found
it helpful to wait until I'm finished with my spreadsheet to format any cells
requiring merging.