JR Hester

Default Find a "date" in a column of dates in Excel 2000

I wnat to use the find tool to immediately goto to a specific date in a column.
Is my determination correct that this only works with text or numbers and
not with dates.
I have sequential dates in every 20th cell in column A, with the
interveneing cells blank.
When I use the Find tool with the entire column selected, I receive teh
nioce little dialog box expalining that Microsoft Excell cannot find the data
searched for.

Just looking for a quick way to loacte a specific date in approximately 800
rows of data, any recommendations?
Art Farrell

Hi,

Just format your date column as 3/14/1998 with the full year shown. Then
the FIND should select the date you enter.

CHORDially,
Art Farrell

"JR Hester" wrote in message
I wnat to use the find tool to immediately goto to a specific date in a

column.
Is my determination correct that this only works with text or numbers and
not with dates.
I have sequential dates in every 20th cell in column A, with the
interveneing cells blank.
When I use the Find tool with the entire column selected, I receive teh
nioce little dialog box expalining that Microsoft Excell cannot find the

data
searched for.

Just looking for a quick way to loacte a specific date in approximately

800
rows of data, any recommendations?

Gord Dibben

Finding depends upon what you are entering in the find what: box and what your
Windows short date is set for, not what the dates are formatted to.

i.e. date formatted as 23/11/2005 will not be found if short date entry is
mm/dd/yyyy

You would enter 11/23/2005 in the find box.

Also must enter as 05/09/2005, not as 5/9/2005

Fool around with the find what: box until you get the correct syntax.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:30:16 -0800, JR Hester
wrote:

I wnat to use the find tool to immediately goto to a specific date in a column.
Is my determination correct that this only works with text or numbers and
not with dates.
I have sequential dates in every 20th cell in column A, with the
interveneing cells blank.
When I use the Find tool with the entire column selected, I receive teh
nioce little dialog box expalining that Microsoft Excell cannot find the data
searched for.

Just looking for a quick way to loacte a specific date in approximately 800
rows of data, any recommendations?

JR Hester

Thansk to both Gord & Art, Both answers helped, but I'm not there yet.
However you helped me realiaze what might be going on.

I have formulas throughout the column to add on day to the previous. I begin
each sheety with month/day/year, i.e. 11/1/05 in cell a2. Each subsequent
date refereneces last date entry cell+1, ie a29=a2+1. a56=a29+1, a83=a56+1,
and so on.

Evidently the 'find' only works on actual cell contents, and not the results
of a formula. Am I understanding the function more thouroughly now? Is there
an easy way to 'find' a particular date in my list?
Thanks Again!