Sheilad

Default Linking cells in different spreadsheets

I want to link a number of cells from different spreadsheets into one main
stock control spreadsheet and I've no idea how. Any suggestions?

ie Stock control = 200

Order Number 50

therefore stock control should decrease to 150.

Many thanks in advance

SteveH

Easy!
Click on the cell where you want the linked data.
Key in the equal sign: =
Navigate to the cell you wish link
Press enter

If you are linking to a cell in another workbook the cell will look
something like this
='[Workbook Name.xls]Tab Name'!$E$16

Where $E$16 is the cell location

Note that the cell location is an absolute reference so if you want to
extend the selection by dragging the cell you must first remove the absolute
reference.

If you are linking to a cell in the same workbook the cell will look
something like this

=Tab Name!Cell E16

Note that the cell location is not an absolute reference

HTH

Steve

"Sheilad" wrote in message
I want to link a number of cells from different spreadsheets into one main
stock control spreadsheet and I've no idea how. Any suggestions?

ie Stock control = 200

Order Number 50

therefore stock control should decrease to 150.

Many thanks in advance

Sheilad

Hi thanks for this, nearly there I think.

That will give me the value, but when I change the number ordered it doesn't
automatically update, can thoughts?

Many thanks.

"Sheilad" wrote in message
I want to link a number of cells from different spreadsheets into one main
stock control spreadsheet and I've no idea how. Any suggestions?

ie Stock control = 200

Order Number 50

therefore stock control should decrease to 150.

Many thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Saw your answer below and it solved part of my problem. I have a spreadsheet
that tracks soldier training. It contains about 9 worksheets within the
workbook. The worksheet that tracks training is the data intense worksheet
and feeds 2 other worksheets. I have one formula worksheets that controls
formatting and calculations for the training worksheet and the other 2
spreadsheets that are fed by the training worksheet. The other 5 worksheets
are training references linked to the training worksheet. I say all this for
backround info. I did not develop this workbook, but was told to use this.
Why they didn't use Access I'll never know.

My data transferred to the other spreadsheet with no problem, it lost the
format it had in the base spreadsheet such as dates, percentages, etc. The
problem is at the top of each of my columns it calculates totals and
percentages, and the total is counting all rows transferred whether they are
blank or not. I unclicked the "zero values" in the "Tools/Options" tab but
this didn't help. If I "clear contents" on the blanks cells the calculations
are correct but it also clears out the link to the other spreadsheet. One
other thing....there is a formula worksheet in the workbook that controls
calculations for some things (but not all). As far as I can tell this
worksheet isn't causing the "count the blanks" problem.