Old October 18th 05, 05:03 AM
Thomas

Default How to insert a value in one cell into many cells

I am currently creating a formula/function to insert a value in once cell
into many cells using excel 2003 , for example: cell A1 has a value 100 000
000, and the value is going to be inserted, into
B1,C1,D1,E1,F1,G1,H1,I1,J1.Each cell will only have one digit only
so B1 will have 1, C1 will have 0, D1 will have 0 and for the rest of the
cell will have the same thing instead of whole value.I tried this thing with
the MID function and it works as long as the source value cell is 9
digits(filling the cell from the B1toJ1), it became my concern when I changed
those value less then 9 digits,say 8 or 5 digits where the cell will receive
the value are B1 to F1 if 5 digits or B1 to I1 if 8 digits, the rest of the
cells are blank.
Are there any possibilities, solutions if the inserted value can be started
from C1 to J1 for 8 digits or F1 to J1 for 5 digits etc (less than 9 digits)
instead of B1 to I1 (8 digits) or B1 to F1 for 5 digits?
It would be great help and apprecition for any solution from you
thanks
Thomas

Old October 18th 05, 05:43 AM
Rowan Drummond

One way:

In B1 enter:
=IF(ISERROR(MID($A$1,COLUMN()-1+LEN($A$1)-9,1)),"",MID($A$1,COLUMN()-1+LEN($A$1)-9,1))
and copy across to J1.

Hope this helps
Rowan

Old October 18th 05, 06:22 AM
Thomas

Dear Rowan,
I wrote the formula below as instructed but it does nothing, it just give a
blank cell with no values at all.

Old October 18th 05, 06:26 AM
Rowan Drummond

Hi Thomas

What is the value of cell A1? Try entering 123456789 in A1 to see the
result.

Regards
Rowan

Old October 18th 05, 07:07 AM
Thomas

Rowan,

The A1 cell's value is 125000000, I tried with the suggested number and
still not showing any changes at all. Does the format of the cell must also
be set into specific format such as number, text, general , etc as to make
the formula work ?

Thanks

Thomas

Old October 18th 05, 07:22 AM
Rowan Drummond

Hi Thomas

All my cells are formatted as General and it works for me with 125000000
in A1.

Try inserting a new sheet, type 125000000 in A1, in B1 enter:
=IF(ISERROR(MID($A$1,COLUMN()-1+LEN($A$1)-9,1)),"",MID($A$1,COLUMN()-1+LEN($A$1)-9,1))
Then copy B1 across to J1.
Works for me.

Regards
Rowan

Old October 18th 05, 07:34 AM
Max

Perhaps you could be having text instead of numbers in A1
(The A1 sample in your orig. post even had
spaces in between the digit "0" !)

Try this slight revision to Rowan's formula in B1,
copy across to J1 as befo

=IF(ISERROR(MID(SUBSTITUTE($A1," ","")+0,COLUMN()-1
+LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A1," ","")+0)-9,1)),"",
MID(SUBSTITUTE($A1," ","")+0,COLUMN()-1
+LEN(SUBSTITUTE($A1," ","")+0)-9,1))

And if required, just select B1:J1 and fill down to return correspondingly
if you have other values in A2, A3 ...
--
Rgds
Max

Old October 18th 05, 07:37 AM
Thomas

Dear Rowan,

Yes it works, on the new worksheet, thank you

regards,

Thomas

Old October 18th 05, 07:43 AM
Thomas

Dear Rowan,

Do you have any references (book, etc) for me to learn this kind of stuff

Cheers

Old October 18th 05, 08:12 AM
Thomas

Hi Max,

Just try to figure out why the formula shows nothing (blank cell) when It
copied to another cells such as L1 or AA1 (it does not show any result)

Thanks