Jim

Default lookup

Hello and Thanks for the help.

I have three sheets I am working with.

Sheet one has the store name and number listed (reference link from sheet 2)
and a place to hold the answer that one of you Excel Yodas provide.

Sheet two shows the store name and store number is two columns. For
example: StoreA appears in a1 and its store number (#1) appears in b1.

Sheet three has the data that I am dumping into the workbook. The data of
interest is the store number (column G) and the prompt number (column J).
The prompt number is the number that a caller calls to prompt for sales or
service (1 for sale, two for service).

What I would like is a formula that refers to the store name and number I
have on sheet one, then counts the prompts (1 for sale, 2 for service) by
store number on sheet three.

Just counting the one or two if it matches by store name.

Thanks

Aladin Akyurek

Make that:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(StoreNumberRange=StoreNumber),--ISNUMBER(MATCH(PromptRange,{1,2},0)))

--

[1] The SumProduct function should implicitly coerce the truth values to
their Excel numeric equivalents.
rexmorgan

It sound like you simply need to use the VLOOKUP function. The proper
syntax is
VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,ran ge_lookup). Where

lookup_value = The value to be looked up in the first column of the
lookup table
table_array = The range that contains the lookup table
col_index_num = The column number within the table from which the
matching value is returned

For example if I had a table in worsheet 3 with the store name in
column G and the store number in column H your formula would look
something like this

VLOOKUP(store name,table location and range, 8,false)
or
VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet3!A1:J100,8,false)
this would return the value in column H or the 8th column in sheet 3
that has a name match for the value in cell A2.

I hope this helps. I have included a very basic idea of how to use this
function.

[...]

|Filename: vlookup_help.zip |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=3913 |

rexmorgan