Phil

Default Can you match records from two different worksheets

I have 2 worksheets that I'd like to see if I can do a match with each one,
using the column Tract_ID, which common to both. So table "A" has 2 columns:
Tract_ID and Parcel_ID, table "B" has 2 columns: Tract_ID and Owner. I'd
like to have it so I could have one new table "C" with BOTH the Tract_ID,
Parcel_ID, and Owner.

Can this be done?

If so, how?

Please let me know if you need more info.

TIA.
Roger Govier

Hi Phil

On sheet2 in cell C2
=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet1!$A$2:$A$1000,2,0)
and copy down.

Once done, copy the whole of column C and Paste SpecialValues to C1 and
this will replace the formula with the Parcel_ID's

Change range to suit.

Regards

Roger Govier

Phil wrote:

I have 2 worksheets that I'd like to see if I can do a match with each one,
using the column Tract_ID, which common to both. So table "A" has 2 columns:
Tract_ID and Parcel_ID, table "B" has 2 columns: Tract_ID and Owner. I'd
like to have it so I could have one new table "C" with BOTH the Tract_ID,
Parcel_ID, and Owner.

Can this be done?

If so, how?

Please let me know if you need more info.

TIA.

Phil

Hello Roger,

I wasn't able to follow your example very well (I have never used the
VLOOKUP function before, so please bear with me). Let me put some specifics
in, and maybe then you could please spell it out a little more specfically
for a newbie like me.

The one thing that I DID infer from your reply is that I can combine the two
tables from each file into one file with two worksheets, so I have done that.
The first sheet is named (on the tab) "Tract_IDs" and the second sheet is
named "Owners".

Inside the first sheet named "Tract_IDs" sheet I have col-a as Tract_ID and
col-b as Parcel_ID. On the second sheet named "Owners" I have col-a as
Tract_ID and col-b as Owner.

That is a far as I have gotten. If you could carry it on from here I'd
greatly apprieciate it!

Regards,

Phil.

Phil wrote:

I have 2 worksheets that I'd like to see if I can do a match with each one,
using the column Tract_ID, which common to both. So table "A" has 2 columns:
Tract_ID and Parcel_ID, table "B" has 2 columns: Tract_ID and Owner. I'd
like to have it so I could have one new table "C" with BOTH the Tract_ID,
Parcel_ID, and Owner.

Can this be done?

If so, how?

Please let me know if you need more info.

TIA.

Roger Govier

Hi Phil

OK, if we substitute your sheet names, then in cell C2 of Owners

=VLOOKUP(A2,Tract_ID!$A$2:$B$1000,2,0)

I'm sorry I had made it $A$2:$A$1000 originally, instead of $A$2:$B$1000.
I have arbitrarily made the range up to 1000, allowing for up to 1000 entries on your sheet but this can be altered if there are more lines.

The formula is basically saying, look up the value in cell A2 (a Tractor ID) of Sheet Owners in column A of Sheet Tract_ID and when found take the value from the second column of the table (column B which will be the Parcel ID).
The ,o at the end of the formula is to allow for the fact that the list may not be alphabetically sorted, and to only return the value if an exact match is found between the Tractor Id's on the both sheets. If not it will return a #N/A value to the relevant cell in column C.

Regards

Roger Govier