resret29

Default How do I convert word data (not in tables) into excel format?

I have MS Word/Excel 2003 and a 250 page document extracted from a
proprietary software system with numerous fields. Unforunately, when I open
it in Word or Excel, I don't get tables or headings. I need to be able to
sort it with about 20 different headings. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jezebel

Somewhere along the line, you need to structure the file to turn it into
data. If the 'numerous fields' are delimited by a specific character you can
use Excel's import wizard. Otherwise, you'll probably need to spend some
time with the document in Word, using Find and Replace to impose a structure
on the file, so Excel's import wizard can interpret it correctly.

"resret29" wrote in message
I have MS Word/Excel 2003 and a 250 page document extracted from a
proprietary software system with numerous fields. Unforunately, when I
open
it in Word or Excel, I don't get tables or headings. I need to be able to
sort it with about 20 different headings. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David McRitchie

Way too little information. Do you know about Data, Text to Columns.
Can you input your file into general application of any kind and see your
tables.

If you look at your data with a fixed font does it line up in columns.
Are there separators like comma, semi-colon, square bullets (unprintable char)
between fields (columns). You can use CODE Worksheet Function to
find the ASCII code number for a single character which you would need to
find out if there is a consistent use of an unprintable character.-
---
HTH,