darrelly

Default variable in a link where the variable is the name of the sheet

Hi all-

I'm new here and hope that someone will be able to help me with this. I
am having an excel link problem.

Here is the scenario in basic terms. I have one workbook, in the
workbook i have 4 tabs labeled MASTER, SCENARIO 1, SCENARIO 2 and
SCENARIO 3

Scenario's all have the same format but have many different numbers in
them. The Master sheet has cells linked to scenario 1. A simple link on
the Master sheet would show up as follows:

='scenario 1'!A1

which basically means that it is pulling from cell A1 on the scenario
tab. Is it possible to have the "1" in this formula linked to another
cell so that if i just typed in 1 in that cell it would pull from
scenario 1's spreadsheet but if type in 2 it will automatically pull
from scenario 2's spreadsheet? I can't figure out how to put a link
within a link or if it is even possible. I hope my question makes
sense. Thanks for the help!

Darrell

--
darrelly
darrelly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27899

Max

Below's one response to your identical post in microsoft.public.excel
(Please do not multi-post):

One way to set it up is to use INDIRECT

Tinker around with this to get a prelim hang of using it ..

In MASTER
------------
Put in A1: SCENARIO (the common "alpha" part of the sheetname)
Put in B1: A1 (the target cell you want to link to in
each sheet)

Put in A2:A4 : 1,2,3
(these will be the variable "numeric" parts of the sheetnames)

Now put in B2: =INDIRECT("'"& $A$1 &" "& A2 & "'!"& B$1)
Copy B2 down to B4

B2:B4 will return the same as having link formulas in B2:B4 :
='SCENARIO 1'!A1
='SCENARIO 2'!A1
='SCENARIO 3'!A1

The concat text strings evaluated within the parens will be resolved by
INDIRECT to yield the desired results.
--
Rgds
Max

Changing a Link Mid-way Across Worksheets Frosty Excel Worksheet Functions 0 August 25th 05 12:03 AM
Paste Link - retaining formatting Suzanne Marie Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 August 18th 05 02:02 AM
Breaking the link T New Users to Excel 1 May 4th 05 10:37 PM
Variable Link to Workbooks dfrancefort Excel Worksheet Functions 1 April 28th 05 01:15 AM
How do link to a remote field but use the path from a stored field Michael T. Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 10th 04 12:18 AM