SheppyShep

Default How can I open an excel spreadsheet if I forgot the password?

I must have incorrectly copied down the password I used to protect a
worksheet or someone set a password on me on an excel spreadsheet that I NEED
to access. Does anyone know of anyway to access a protected sheet or reset a
password on an excel sheet without losing all of the data?

Gord Dibben

Sheppy

There are 4 forms of password protection for an Excel file.

From your subject line and description it is hard to say which you are
speaking of.

Your subject states it is a spreadsheet that you want opened and your
description speaks of worksheet protection.

1. File to open password. Very hard to crack and would probably need a
commercial creacker.

2. Worksheet protection which is placed on a worksheet. File must be opened
to set this. Easy to crack.

3. Workbook protection on a workbook. File must be opened to set this. Easy
to crack.

4. VBA Project protection. Not so easy to crack.

All 4 are addressed by John McGimpsey at his site.

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

Gord Dibben Excel MVP