Jim

Default Returning Descending Values

Returning Descending Values

I currently use the following to find the max number is a column:
=MAX($P$4:$P$65536). If I wanted to find the second highest, then the third
highest, etc.. how would this be written?

Thanks for the help

bj

Try the Large() function
=large($P$4:$P$65536,1)
is the same as max()
=large($P$4:$P$65536,2)
is the second largest

Small() has a similar comparison to min()

"Jim" wrote:

Returning Descending Values

I currently use the following to find the max number is a column:
=MAX($P$4:$P$65536). If I wanted to find the second highest, then the third
highest, etc.. how would this be written?

Thanks for the help

Chip Pearson

Jim,

See the LARGE function. For example, to return the second largest
number, use

=LARGE(P4:P65536,2)

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Jim" wrote in message
Returning Descending Values

I currently use the following to find the max number is a
column:
=MAX($P$4:$P$65536). If I wanted to find the second highest,
then the third
highest, etc.. how would this be written?

Thanks for the help

Domenic

For the second highest...

=LARGE($P$4:$P$65536,2)

For the third highest...

=LARGE($P$4:$P$65536,3)

....and so on.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Returning Descending Values

I currently use the following to find the max number is a column:
=MAX($P$4:$P$65536). If I wanted to find the second highest, then the third
highest, etc.. how would this be written?

Thanks for the help

Bruno Campanini

"Domenic" wrote in message
For the second highest...

=LARGE($P$4:$P$65536,2)

For the third highest...

=LARGE($P$4:$P$65536,3)

...and so on.

Just for joking:
LARGE(Range, k) = SMALL(Range, n-k+1)
SMALL(Range, k) = LARGE(Range, n-k+1)

Bruno

Jim

Great answer to my questions. Thank you. One more follow up. How do I get
the number value to change when I am dragging down the cells? The 1 is
remaining the same.

"Domenic" wrote:

For the second highest...

=LARGE($P$4:$P$65536,2)

For the third highest...

=LARGE($P$4:$P$65536,3)

....and so on.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Returning Descending Values

I currently use the following to find the max number is a column:
=MAX($P$4:$P$65536). If I wanted to find the second highest, then the third
highest, etc.. how would this be written?

Thanks for the help

Harlan Grove

Jim wrote...
Great answer to my questions. Thank you. One more follow up. How do I get
the nth value to change when I am dragging down the cells? The nth is
remaining the same.

If you want all values in some range (which I'll denote rng) in
descending order, it's more efficient to *avoid* using the LARGE
function. If the largest value were to appear in cell E1 with the next
largest in E2, etc., try the following if you don't want duplicates.

E1:
=MAX(rng)

E2 [array formula]:
=MAX(IF(rng<E1,rng,-1E+300))

Fill E2 down as far as needed. If you want duplicates, then maybe LARGE
would be the function to use.

E1:
=LARGE(rng,ROWS(E$1:E1))

Fill E1 down as far as needed.

Myrna Larson

Instead of a literal as the 2nd argument, use a formula based on the row
number. e.g. if the first formula is in Q8,

=LARGE($P$4:$P$65536,ROW()-ROW($Q$8)+1)

or

=LARGE($P$4:$P$65536,ROWS($Q$8:$Q8))

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 09:40:04 -0700, Jim wrote:

Great answer to my questions. Thank you. One more follow up. How do I get
the number value to change when I am dragging down the cells? The 1 is
remaining the same.

"Domenic" wrote:

For the second highest...

=LARGE($P$4:$P$65536,2)

For the third highest...

=LARGE($P$4:$P$65536,3)

....and so on.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Jim wrote:

Returning Descending Values

I currently use the following to find the max number is a column:
=MAX($P$4:$P$65536). If I wanted to find the second highest, then the

third
highest, etc.. how would this be written?

Thanks for the help

Aladin Akyurek

bj wrote:
If you start out in row 3 (for example) change it to

=large($P$4:$P$65536,row()-2)

[...]

What is going to happen if some rows are inserted before the formula row?
bj

"Aladin Akyurek" wrote:

bj wrote:
If you start out in row 3 (for example) change it to

=large($P$4:$P$65536,row()-2)

[...]

What is going to happen if some rows are inserted before the formula row?

The equation would have to be modified
one way to do it would be to name a range equal to the first equation cell
[initr = $C$3]
change the equation to
=large($P$4:$P$65536,row()-row(initr)+1)