nicoleeee

Default Comparing text and returning boolean values

Hi, I need to compare text values in one cell to text values in another
range of cells. Basically I need a formula that tells me if the text
in cell E406 equals the text in any of the cells between M3 and M403.
I tried =E406=M3:M403, but that didn't work. If anyone knows how to do
this please let me know!

--
nicoleeee
nicoleeee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23442

Ron Coderre

How about this:

=ISNUMBER(MATCH(E406,$M$3:$M$403,0))

Does that help?
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21419

bj

if you only need to know if there is a match try
=vlookup(E406,M3:M403,1,false)
you will get an error message if there is no match

"nicoleeee" wrote:

Hi, I need to compare text values in one cell to text values in another
range of cells. Basically I need a formula that tells me if the text
in cell E406 equals the text in any of the cells between M3 and M403.
I tried =E406=M3:M403, but that didn't work. If anyone knows how to do
this please let me know!

--
nicoleeee
nicoleeee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=23442
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389445

Biff

Hi!

Entered as an array using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=OR(E406=M3:M403)

Biff

"nicoleeee" wrote
in message ...

Hi, I need to compare text values in one cell to text values in another
range of cells. Basically I need a formula that tells me if the text
in cell E406 equals the text in any of the cells between M3 and M403.
I tried =E406=M3:M403, but that didn't work. If anyone knows how to do
this please let me know!

--
nicoleeee
nicoleeee's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389445

RagDyer

Try this:

=COUNTIF(M3:M403,E406)0

For True or False,
Or, eliminate the "0" to return a count of matches.
--
HTH,

RD

"nicoleeee" wrote
in message ...

Hi, I need to compare text values in one cell to text values in another
range of cells. Basically I need a formula that tells me if the text
in cell E406 equals the text in any of the cells between M3 and M403.
I tried =E406=M3:M403, but that didn't work. If anyone knows how to do
this please let me know!

--
nicoleeee
nicoleeee's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389445

RagDyer

Any chance that your clock might be off?<g

RD

"Ron Coderre"
wrote in message

How about this:

=ISNUMBER(MATCH(E406,$M$3:$M$403,0))

Does that help?
Ron

--
Ron Coderre
Ron Coderre's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389445

Ron Coderre

The short answer: No, RagDyer, my clock is not off (sheesh)....but, read on
if you've got nothing better to do. :)

The long answer to the inferred question:
At first I was a little puzzled by the comment about my clock, then I
remembered . . .
A while ago, I mentioned that ExcelTip.com had begun uploading their forum
activity to the MS Excel newsgroups every few minutes, BUT only pulled from
there once per hour. I got back helpful responses about using a newsreader
and firewalls, but here's the gist:

If a user posts directly to the ExcelTip forum, then I figure that's where
they'll look for a response. Consequently, if I want them to get my response
with the least amount of delay (up to an hour), I post my reply on that same
forum.

After reading your post and seeing that it came from the MS Excel newsgroup,
I went there to respond. According to that forum, I was 4th in the response
line, even though, I was first on the ExcelTip forum and never even knew
there were other posts queuing up from the MS newsgroup. So I was both early
AND late! <vbg

Ron

"RagDyer" wrote:

Any chance that your clock might be off?<g

RD

RagDyer

I remember reading something about that.

So that's why sometimes answers are displayed here, that give the impression
that you're being ignored, and a "later" post is acknowledged, as if it were
the *only* response in the thread.

And ... I *DO* apologize!

"RagDyer" wrote:

Any chance that your clock might be off?<g

RD

Ron Coderre

No need to apologize, RD.

If you ever check the ExcelTip forum, you'll see that the same problem
occurs:
OP posts an issue, an immediate response solves the problem, OP thanks
responder....then..an hour later a flurry of posts from the MS form arrives
(usually around 5 minutes after the hour).

--
Best Regards,
Ron

"RagDyer" wrote:

I remember reading something about that.

So that's why sometimes answers are displayed here, that give the impression
that you're being ignored, and a "later" post is acknowledged, as if it were
the *only* response in the thread.

And ... I *DO* apologize!

RD

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chandima

hi,
I need to convert the value of number into its text.
eg: 2455 must convert as two thousand four hundred and fifty five.
if u know the answer please reply me.my e-mail

thank you
chandima

--
chandima