Galiant

Default assign a value to text

I have read a lot of posts, and maybe I am way out of my leage.
I am trying to setup a spreed sheet for our fire department.
We want to create a way to track training pay. When someone attends the
training we want to just put an "x" in next to their name in the column for
that training event rather then 9.75 for example. But we also want to be able
to add up all training for that individual for the year and see what we paid
them.

The idea is we have a sheet that shows us checks of who attended and who
did not. But we also want to add up the pay associated with that x.
So:
We want column A to be member names
Column B is a training event.
We want to go down and put in an "X" for each member who attended.
Now What I want is to have that "x" be associated with a dollar value. For
example lets say that they get $10 for that training.
THe idea is that I can run a total at the end of the year for each member
for each "x" and see how much money they recieved. I.E. the "x" is a hidden
value maybe that when I add up all the "x"s for a member it will give me
total dolar value for all training they attended.

I hope that makes sensce and I don't know a lot about excel.
THanks!

Galiant

Hey bob,

THanks... looks good, but as I said not very savy with excel. It looks like
the first part says all entries in colum A=Bill -what is the purpose of this?
then the the next part looks like what I was looking for it takes all
entires in colum C and says the value= x (i think that is what htat means)
and then the last part mulitplies it by the dollar value?

Is this put where I want my total to be?
and what is the "--" for?
2n question what is the purpose of using (A2:A200="Bill")

THanks!

"Galiant" wrote in message
[...]

Galiant

Update: I adjust the A2-A2000 to A2:28 to fit my sheet, and changed
dolar_value to 10. I get an aswer now, but the answer is 10 it is not
multiplying each instance of "x" times 10.

THanks!

"Galiant" wrote:

[...]

Galiant

Ok, I think I am getting there... I got it to work with one argument but when
I try to use to arguments I get a "0" values

I have column it setup like this
Member name | Week 1

Now I want it to tell me how many instances of x and D so I modified it like
so:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(C2:C29="d"),--(C2:C29="x"))*1

THis is returning a "0"

Not sure what is wrong. So to recap, I want it to tell me how many times "x"
occurs and then "d" occurs.

"Galiant" wrote:

[...]

Rowan

Hi

The reason Bob used the sumproduct formula along with the A2:A200="Bill"
argument is that he inferred that you wanted to count the number of
x's per person eg Bill. If you just want to count the total number of
x's as well as the total number of d's then you could use:
=COUNTIF(A2:A28,"=x")+COUNTIF(A2:A28,"=d")
and to multiply that by the dollar value
=(COUNTIF(A2:A28,"=x")+COUNTIF(A2:A28,"=d"))*10

Or if you wanted to stick with the sumproduct then
=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A28="x")+(A2:A28="d"))*10

Hope this helps
Rowan