Galiant

I just gave the solutions a try and it is giving me some cirucular reference
issue?
not sure about that

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Something like

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A200="Bill"),--(C2:C200="x"))*dollar_amount

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Galiant" wrote in message
I have read a lot of posts, and maybe I am way out of my leage.
I am trying to setup a spreed sheet for our fire department.
We want to create a way to track training pay. When someone attends the
training we want to just put an "x" in next to their name in the column

for
that training event rather then 9.75 for example. But we also want to be

able
to add up all training for that individual for the year and see what we

paid
them.

The idea is we have a sheet that shows us checks of who attended and who
did not. But we also want to add up the pay associated with that x.
So:
We want column A to be member names
Column B is a training event.
We want to go down and put in an "X" for each member who attended.
Now What I want is to have that "x" be associated with a dollar value. For
example lets say that they get $10 for that training.
THe idea is that I can run a total at the end of the year for each member
for each "x" and see how much money they recieved. I.E. the "x" is a

hidden
value maybe that when I add up all the "x"s for a member it will give me
total dolar value for all training they attended.

I hope that makes sensce and I don't know a lot about excel.
THanks!