Kim

Default IF Function

I'm not sure if I am using the correct function? I have several spreadsheets
in the same workbook. Within each worksheet are columns for date 'MMM-YY'
and value '£'. Not every worksheet has the same dates so therefore the row
posions vary so I need to select teh specific name of a date rather than just
a cell position. I am trying to sum, on a seperate worksheet' all the values
for say 'Jan-06' or 'Aug-05'. So I need excel to check each worksheet date
column and if the specified date is present sum/collect the relating value
from the 'value £' column. Hence I know the total amount for Aug'05 from all
the spreadsheets.

I've tried to use the SUMIF function but this doesn't seem to be working
correctly - although maybe I'm using it correctly?

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you!!!!
Gary''s Student

VLOOKUP() will meet your needs unless a particular sheet has more than one
entry for a given date, say two rows for Jan-06. Checkout the Help on
VLOOKUP, give it a shot, and if you need more assistance, update this post.
--
Gary''s Student

"Kim" wrote:

I'm not sure if I am using the correct function? I have several spreadsheets
in the same workbook. Within each worksheet are columns for date 'MMM-YY'
and value '£'. Not every worksheet has the same dates so therefore the row
posions vary so I need to select teh specific name of a date rather than just
a cell position. I am trying to sum, on a seperate worksheet' all the values
for say 'Jan-06' or 'Aug-05'. So I need excel to check each worksheet date
column and if the specified date is present sum/collect the relating value
from the 'value £' column. Hence I know the total amount for Aug'05 from all
the spreadsheets.

I've tried to use the SUMIF function but this doesn't seem to be working
correctly - although maybe I'm using it correctly?

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you!!!!

Kim

Hello Tahanks for the advice but I think I'm being dim, I can't seem to
understand the VLOOKUP Function - it seems like i need more parameters for
the function than I have / I'm not sure which parameters are needed. Any
more advice would be great.

Thank you

Kim

"Kim" wrote:

I'm not sure if I am using the correct function? I have several spreadsheets
in the same workbook. Within each worksheet are columns for date 'MMM-YY'
and value '£'. Not every worksheet has the same dates so therefore the row
posions vary so I need to select teh specific name of a date rather than just
a cell position. I am trying to sum, on a seperate worksheet' all the values
for say 'Jan-06' or 'Aug-05'. So I need excel to check each worksheet date
column and if the specified date is present sum/collect the relating value
from the 'value £' column. Hence I know the total amount for Aug'05 from all
the spreadsheets.

I've tried to use the SUMIF function but this doesn't seem to be working
correctly - although maybe I'm using it correctly?

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you!!!!

Gary''s Student

O.K. Then...

Let's say we have two sheets (Sheet1 and Sheet2) with dates running down
column A and currency running down column B for at most 100 rows. In your
application many such sheets may exist.

There will also be at least one summary sheet. In cell A1, enter the
desired date.
Then enter in A2, =VLOOKUP($A$1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)
same formula in A3 except Sheet2! instead of Sheet1!.

Continue for each data sheet. Then put a sum at the bottom of the column.
(don't include A1, of course.)

You can always change A1 to pickup other date data.
--
Gary''s Student

"Kim" wrote:

I'm not sure if I am using the correct function? I have several spreadsheets
in the same workbook. Within each worksheet are columns for date 'MMM-YY'
and value '£'. Not every worksheet has the same dates so therefore the row
posions vary so I need to select teh specific name of a date rather than just
a cell position. I am trying to sum, on a seperate worksheet' all the values
for say 'Jan-06' or 'Aug-05'. So I need excel to check each worksheet date
column and if the specified date is present sum/collect the relating value
from the 'value £' column. Hence I know the total amount for Aug'05 from all
the spreadsheets.

I've tried to use the SUMIF function but this doesn't seem to be working
correctly - although maybe I'm using it correctly?

Any ideas anyone?

Thank you!!!!

I NEED HELP with the SPELLNUMBER Function vag Excel Worksheet Functions 0 June 21st 05 08:17 AM
Excel option to store trendline's coefficients in cells for use Miguel Saldana Charts and Charting in Excel 9 June 20th 05 08:45 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
Automatically up date time in a cell Mark Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 May 12th 05 12:26 AM
clock Wildman Excel Worksheet Functions 2 April 26th 05 10:31 AM