Junior Member

Question How can we increment 1.9+0.1 and display 1.10 NOT 2.0 using formula

Hello,
I'm trying to increment using two criteria; Category (Primary #) and Question(Secondary #). Categories will be 1, 2, 3, and the questions that fall under each category will increment by 0.1 (i.e. 1.1, 1.2, etc..). I'm using the formula B2+0.1. It works great up until it reaches 1.9, but after that, it jumps to 2. It should display display it as 1.10.

I’ve attached a screenshot to illustrate what I’m trying to do.

One more thing (Sorry lol), I've also noticed that 1.10 will display as 1.1 creating a duplicate. I'll be using these numbers as IDs, so it's important that they're unique..

Thanks in advance for all your help
Attached Images

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can we increment 1.9+0.1 and display 1.10 NOT 2.0 using formula

On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 9:49:08 AM UTC-10, ymadi wrote:
Hello,
I'm trying to increment using two criteria; Category (Primary #) and
Question(Secondary #). Categories will be 1, 2, 3, and the questions
that fall under each category will increment by 0.1 (i.e. 1.1, 1.2,
etc..). I'm using the formula B2+0.1. It works great up until it reaches
1.9, but after that, it jumps to 2. It should display display it as
1.10.

Ive attached a screenshot to illustrate what Im trying to do.

One more thing (Sorry lol), I've also noticed that 1.10 will display as
1.1 creating a duplicate. I'll be using these numbers as IDs, so it's
important that they're unique..

Thanks in advance for all your help

|Filename: Increment Help.jpg |
|Download: http://www.excelbanter.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1069|

ymadi

Your spreadsheet is calculating correctly based on the data you are inputting. Row 3 in your range already has the 1.1 value you want returned in Row 12. As you note, there is no difference in the numbers 1.1 and 1.10 so your calc would create a duplicate number anyway. Maybe you want to work in true hundreths instead of tens: 1.10, 1.11, 1.12, 1.13, 1.14.... 2.10, 2.11, 2.12, 2.13, etc.
HTH
Junior Member

Hi Miles!
Thanks for responding! You're absolutely right and it did worked :) I was so focused on making the logic smarter, that I did think about this simple mathematical solution lol.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Yasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Baidack View Post
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Miles Baidack wrote:

[...]

You'll have to treat the data as strings (watch the word wrap):

=IFERROR(LEFT(A1,FIND(".",A1))&MID(A1,FIND(".",A1) +1,LEN(A1)-FIND(".",A1))+
1,A1)

There's probably better ways to do it, but this works for me.

--
Your mileage may vary. Results not guaranteed.
Warranty void in the United States, England, and the planet Earth.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My solution would be to create a cell for each category number and a cell for each question number, then in the incremented cells use a formula to combine the text in your category and question cells.

Where A2 is your category number and B2 is your question number, your formula would read: =A2&"."&B2
Make sure to include the quotations around the period or whatever divider you choose. Also, you can use an absolute reference for your category ($A$2) so you can copy the formula down your column/row.
Using this method you will end up with an extra column or row of data with your category & question numbers but you can choose to hide those cells if you wish.

I hope this helps!

Blythe