justmetn

Default drop-down list validation won't allow a different worksheet

I'm using Excel 2003 and have setup a list of data and named it. When I try
to setup the drop-down list feature and select data validation and select
"List". The list is in a different workbook so I enter the name i have
defined preceded with an equal sign. I get an error message 'You may not use
references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation criteria'. I
had the same drop-down list used with a prior version of Excel. Is there
something else I need to do?

Ken Wright

Different workbook or worksheet?

Worksheet OK, Workbook not.

With worksheet, as you say, simply name the list and then put it in the
reference box preceded by an =

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

"justmetn" wrote in message
I'm using Excel 2003 and have setup a list of data and named it. When I
try
to setup the drop-down list feature and select data validation and select
"List". The list is in a different workbook so I enter the name i have
defined preceded with an equal sign. I get an error message 'You may not
use
references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation criteria'.
had the same drop-down list used with a prior version of Excel. Is there
something else I need to do?

Gord Dibben

Have a look at Debra Dalgleish's site on using a named range from another
workbook and see if you've done all the steps in the right order.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 11:58:09 -0700, "justmetn"
wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003 and have setup a list of data and named it. When I try
to setup the drop-down list feature and select data validation and select
"List". The list is in a different workbook so I enter the name i have
defined preceded with an equal sign. I get an error message 'You may not use
references to other worksheets or workbooks for Data Validation criteria'. I
had the same drop-down list used with a prior version of Excel. Is there
something else I need to do?

Ken Wright

Didn't know you could do that :-(

Do now though :-)